Night fishing

rains

Reaction score
Hi am thinking about going night fishing i have two questions really one do i have to fish on the bottom and 2 what types of fish feed at night time thanks

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hello rains and welcome to fm . Ive caught eels tench bream pike carp roach rudd chub barbel and a few others never caught a perch at night.

rains

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick replys so you all recomend fishing on the bottom then night time ?

blankmeister

Reaction score
I used to float fish at night quite bit (still water that is). You could get one of those little light sticks that fit into a waggler and a torch set up on the bank. We also set up flood lights on a friend's lake, but I can't help thinking this would put the fish off up in the water, but we did catch off the bottom.
I imagine fish would be more confident to feed close in after dark, so I think the "glow tip" in the margins could be deadly.
One problem I remember is confusing reflections making subtle bites difficult.

richiekelly

Reaction score
carp will feed off the bottom at night i have caught them on zig rigs during the night,my first double figure carp was caught at night on floating crust that was in 1962, pike will also feed at night either on or off the bottom.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Any method of fishing where you can still detect bites in the dark will work. If your method of bite indication is visual then it obviously needs to glow in some way; the only other alternatives I can think of are the bite-alarm and touch legering.

I would say that a leger rig fished on the bottom is potentially the easiest way to fish at night as it requires the least amount of maintenance - compared to say, trotting a luminous tipped float.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I fish at all levels at night. Often fish will feed off the surface at night (especially the summer months) including tench !
I'e been fishing for rudd at night with floating caster and caught tench. I've caught many species of fish fishing mid water also.

rains

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys and info think am going to give float fishing with a star light and on bottom thanks again