So What's

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

For me it's simple. It's the roach.

There is no other fish that demands such complete angling skills as our number one species.

Make no mistake about it, to catch quality roach regularly demands perfect presentation.

Wherever they live, whether it is river or still water, you have to get it right.

Some of England's greatest anglers have put the roach as number one. I do too.

What do you say; what is your favourite species?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Ron seasons greatings to you and the family,

I find it hard when asked this and always give two fish in quick succession as my reply, like yourself I love the roach but my response is always "roach and dace". I have fished for them both since I started fishing and hope to continue till I die. The fact I always mention the roach first in my response may be a subconcious leaning or preference but I can't bring myself to leave the dace out my answer.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

OK

I know this is an old one but if you were forced to fish for one species for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Chub. Wet fly, dry fly, spinners, plugs,floating crust, legered hi-protein wossnames, float fished hemp & casters; stret-pegging, laying on, float-legering, swimming-the-stream; stick float, waggler, avon, loafer or trent trotter - if you want to pactise a method, go find a chub. Gawd Bless 'em!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it might be chub for me. But if I get too old to go roaming the rivers, I would go back to roach fishing on the canal. some days it's nice to put a carp rod out, chill out and fish off a bite alarm. And there are some lovely big perch about on the local lakes. and the bream are getting bigger as well.
Hope this helps ;)

N

NottmDon

cod with a nice plate of chips n mushy peas!

Only joking, difficult one really, I like chub, bream, carp and barbel. But to be honest it has to be the fish I am looking to catch on a particular day.

P

Phil Hackett 2

The fish species I'm fishing for at the time I'm fishing for it.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

That's a cop out Phil.

Personally, with the exception of carp, I love them all, but there is something about a big grown-up roach that is hard to describe.

A jewel of the water?

Also a roach was the first "big fish" I ever caught. This was a roach of about 12 oz I suppose.

B

Bob Hornegold 3

Perch

Not that hard to catch once you know they are there, but I just love their aggressive attitude.

It's that moment in time, when they come to the surface, that Spiky Dorsal Fin standing upright.

To me they seem to shout out to you, Whats Up Mate ?

And of course they were properly the first fish I ever caught.

Bob

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Old **** Walker used to describe the perch as the biggest fish you will ever catch.

I must admit that my biggest perch were all taken by accident, and that I have done very little fishing deliberately for big perch.

Mind you, if I lived close to the Great Ouse, I would certainly have a go for them.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Bass. Big, chrome-sided, bristling-finned, full-of-aggression bass! I'm a purist, though - they'd have to come from the shore, preferably a genuine Atlantic surf beach. If decent-sized bass could still be found in reasonable numbers, I'd be willing to forsake every other sort of fishing.

As it is, with the reality that shore bass fishing is poor compared with what it used to be, my choice would be a difficult one: tench, carp or mullet.... hate to opt for just one at the expense of others, though.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I can understand your liking for bass Jim. I have only ever caught small ones off the Cornish coast many years ago.

However I have caught several saltwater species off the African coast that look very similar to bass. They have weighed up to 50 lbs too.

The Kablejou is almost a dead ringer for the bass, however it is not known as a fighter. It reaches weights of up to 100 lbs and is found in many estuaries.

S

swordsy

Rudd, there is a small land drain at the top end of ingoldmells which is very over grown and chrystal clear. fishing through the clear spots in the weed its possible to snag a couple of fish before you spook them, leap fogging from swim to swim catching perfect rudd upto a pound, if i only had one day of fishing left thats what I would do, perfection!