The Ultimate

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

OK chaps - here it is.

This works paricularly well for big carp in large lakes.

Required: 4 x 13 foot heavy beachcasting rods loaded with 30 lbs mono at least. 4 lbs test curve is about right. In addition you will require 4 sets of heavy duty for and aft rod rests. Multiplying reels are probably the best for this.

Tie a short link - 3 inch paternoster hook length about 12 inches from the end of the line with a hair rig. At the end of the line attach a large treble hook, about a size 2 with a knotless knot. Then attach a substantial swivel to which is tied a length of 24 pole elastic. At the end of the pole elastic you attach another swivel with a short length of about 5 lb bs line. This is tied to a house brick or suitable rock. You can of course attach a large PVA bag full of freebies to this lot.

You row the whole bag of tricks out into the lake with a boat and drop it over the side.

Back on shore you put the rod in the fore and aft rest so that the rod is at right angles to the line going out. Then you wind tightly so that the rod is bent to its test curve. The reel is on anti-reverse with a tight check.

When a carp picks up the bait and bolts, it is hit with a double wammy!!

First from the effect of the elastic, secondly from the rod which springs back as the 5lb line breaks and embeds the treble into the carp.

Two hooks are better than one - Har Har!!

This might be illegal in England but should work well in France or even The USA

You might laugh but this concept has been used in a certain Southern Hemisphere country for several years now.

P

paul williams 2

Ron.....does it work with Welsh sheep at long range if i sparsly bait with ewe pellets and use a pop up on the hook......i spent two days on Pen y fan casting to Fan fawr and blanked with standard running gear....it was very frustrating.

E

Eric Hayes

Ron thinking about it With enough tension on the rig it could also land the fish for you. You would have to keep you eyes on the set up because 40lb of carp landing on you would do a great deal of damage,

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The bloody rods don't half spring back when you get a run.

Don't stand behind them..... :eek:D

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Anyone remember the "Autostrike"? A sort of spring-loaded rod rest, I believe.
Apparently it could launch a half-pound roach like a mortar-bomb!
It died the death, thankfully, but it wouldn't surprise me to see some mercenary git try it again!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I remember the Autostrike very clearly. A mate of mine actually bought one. It pulled off the lips of roach I remember before he binned it!

It should not be beyond anyone with an engineering background to devise a wicked self striking device using strong pole elastic and the principle of a crossbow.

Or a spear gun for that matter. Might be a good idea to keep something like that in the house to discourage burglars.

N

NottmDon

Im sorry Ron but that sounds a little on the fine side to me, is there a beefed up version lmao!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Er-well you could substitute bungee rope for the pole elastic I suppose, together with 200lb mono and an 80 lb recurve composite bow instead of the rods.

An old Reliant Robin would make a good heavy feeder - ask the Monk about this one.

N

NottmDon

Ah I see were they got the name for feeder fishing now! You've already tried the beefed up version with a real "plastic pig"?