urban waterways

S

swordsy

The city of Sheffield has an abundance of urban river fihing be it on the Don, Rother, Sheaf, Porter, Loxley or Riverlin.

The species you can confidently expect to encounter range from big brownies, small barbel and the lady of the stream the beautiful grayling on the Don at Attercliffe to exellent roach and perch on the Rother at Catcliffe, with chub, dace and hordes of mega-gonks everywhere.

The only problem being access, I see countless swims teeming with fish but you simply cannot get to them, this is frustrating in the extreme!! there is a shoal of roach on the wicker stretch of the Don that are begging to be caught but attempting to get to them would be an adventure of Indianna Jones proportions.

I think its time we started a movement to get proper access to these urban waterways, they are untapped gold mines, any ideas?

P

Phil Hackett 2

The EA has a commitment to open up waterways for recreational use. I think you should talk to them to find out the state of play regarding the rivers you mention.

Most Councils are in the process of developing waterways strategies under the Waterways Act 2000. Contact your local Council and ask to speak to their Waterways Strategy Officer. Probably find him/her in the Environmental Dept.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
My friends and I had similar problems on the Rivers of South West London. The ideal solution is something most coarse anglers overlook. A set of chestwaders. most of these urban streams are relatively wadeable. I wouldn't recomend a decent pair though as they can rip easily when dropping off walls etc to gain access. I would recomend a basic pair made of strong rubber. The bottom of the market ones Shakespeare make are perfect.

Remember that this lack of access is the reason theres that many fish there. Minimal pressure due to lack of access gives those who make the effort far better fishing.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Couldn't agree with you more Lee.

There is some fabulous roach fishing in the middle of Rothers, but with a Labourite Town Council, what do you expect.

The access is awful.

S

swordsy

I say ron I, was just sending an e-letter to the council regarding fishing and access to them is on a par with the river.

Impossible!!

S

swordsy

Got in touch with the council planning dept and contacted the EA.

my mission is now to get access to the ladies bridge section of the don.

I will keep you posted!

P

Phil Hackett 2

Nice one Swordy!
I like people who "walk the talk" :0)

Any problems e-mail me as I've lots of tricks in my bags to deal with those who, lets say, are a bit uncooperative :0)

Don?t like bureaucrats much either :0)

A word to the wise here, you?re dealing with bureaucracy here and things don?t happen quickly (Barclays Bankers) the trick is to be persistent, tenacious and a real pain in the rear if needs be.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's right what Phil says, if you believe you're right stick with it.

I took on Nat West bank last year over some wrong (and costly) advice I was given by one of their financial advisers, in the end taking it to the ombudsman. It took a long time, with no end of red herrings to try and put me off following it through, but in the end they conceded and I not only won my case but a compensation fee as well.

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Councils have a 'duty' to provide people with facilities for Sport and Recreation.

Angling fits into both of these catagories.

S

swordsy

This sunday I will be fishing at the salmon pastures stretch of the river don weather permitting (it soon gets filthy if it rains hard)I want to get a good net of fish to photograph as evidence to the validity of the river Don as a vible fishery to support my move with the coucil to gain access for anglers to more of the central sections of the river.

I expect grayling, chub, roach and trout if yo fancy it Ron or anyone else in the area give us a ring or send me an e-mail.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Ja go for it Lee.

I think I am committed on the Idle this weekend.

Take your digicam and let's see some pics.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Hey Graham, are you going to change my FM name?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yes Ron, it's going to be:

Ron Troversial 'The Hat' Clay.

A

Ashe Hurst

Richard.

you on about the Wandle?
I havnt fished it but have taken part in organising and running a River clean up there last year with thames21 the Jetset/Piscatorials.
A most beautiful River. early in the morning as we arrived, the stretch with the rocks was heaving with Big Chub and possibly barble too.

We worked in Chestwaders and Dry Suits, this provide us with eceptional access. The steel pilling was daunting on arrival but some one had removed a section close the water level and extendable step laders worked a treat and not too bulky to carry.

the River cray in Bexley SE London dosnt have many access problems to public areas, just one prime section now has a Ban on it and other sections are suitable to roving or short stay sessions, though the upper stretches north of Crayford are much cleaner and full of Big Roach, Dace, Perch & Bream to name but a few, fishing can be a challenge but when they bite, a 2lb Roach is possible.

S

swordsy

Good news, it looks as though the entire stretch of the river Don is going to be opened up with access points galore.

GET IN THERE!!

Will post more details as they are given to me!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Well done Swordsy, take the trouble and the results are there.

Just hope they don't make it that attractive you can't get any fishing in because of the picnickers, swimming dogs and cyclists rushing up and down the banks!

J

jason fisher

wicker stretch of the Don that are begging to be caught but attempting to get to them would be an adventure of Indianna Jones proportions.

no just a rope grappling hook and some waders, i've done it. getting back of is a real sod though.