Keeping dry & fishing chair ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Whats the best way to keep dry ......

a) - Umbrella - The last time i used a 45" Nubrolli umbrella it as more trouble than it was worth. ie ... getting pole in ground, trying to stable it etc etc. Are there better umbrella options nowadays ??

b) - Clothing - Sitting outside without any shelter is an obvious option. I had a Sundridge Minus 10 suit a few years ago which was warm, waterproof but bulky with a long jacket. Are Sundridge still good value for money in this area ??

c) - Fishing Chair - My current carp fishing chair is a Nash Nomad, an excellent bit of kit, but being a solid, one piece material, has no way of any water draining away. I forsee a problem where any waterproof trousers wont be waterproof for very long if sitting in a puddle of water.
Is there a mesh or small, lightweight chair that is more suitable ??

no-one in particular

Reaction score
difficult one really

I like fishing light and got fed up with carrying umbrellas, heavy chairs etc. Thought about brollies that attached to chairs. Problem here is you still have to nail the chair to the ground as when you stand up to play a fish the wind blows the lot into the drink, I know this. A simple sheet of plastic that folds up into a small square to keep in fishing box with a small amount of light adjustable poles that could be set up wigwam fashion maybe!. Never quite got to grips with that. But is there possibilities. I looked for some of those old bycycle capes that go over the rider and bycycle; the sort you see coppers wearing in those old Ealing films. But couldnt find any. However, I am convinced there is an answer here somewhere. I have tried more modern versions. They go over you the chair and your tackle if lucky and are light and fold up small. They are quick to put on also and come with a hood to keep your head dry. I havn't found a perfect one and some have the draw back of not having arm slits so when you get a bite you have to lift the lot up. And they dont give that sense of comfort that a brollie does. At present, as its summer I am content to just carry a golf brolly and if it rains I sit there holding it on my lightish weight chair. If I get a bite I fold it and miss the bite!! but not always; you have to be quick. As we have had little rain lately I havnt given it a lot of testing but if it becomes an olympic sport I will have an headstart on the competition. But, I think the cape is a good way forward; are there any designed with anglers in mind? good luck

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
Mark, I like the idea of the cape/poncho. What is the problem with the military ones on ebay? They look the business. I don't understand what you mean by "lift the lot up", don't you just stick your arms out the sides?

Last edited:

tortoise100

Reaction score
I would be careful buying second hand ones on ebay I had two American camo ones but they would at best be described as heavy shower proof, they might have been better when new but I would not want to sit out in allot of rain in one.

BarryC

Reaction score
Dont know what sort of buisnesses are in your area but I would take the chair to a sailmaker or similar and get a brass eyelet put in the centre of the seat.
Should do the job for a lot less than a new chair.