Fly fishing for bass in North Cornwall

P

Peter Wise

I'm off to North Cornwall for a family holiday in a couple of weeks and I''ve heard that fly fishing can be a good method for bass. Can anyone give me a couple of pointers - what flies, what fly line, what state of the tide, what features to look for etc. I'll be staying in Trebarwith, which is near Padstow / Boscastle. Is it best to fish from the rocks, or are there places you can just wade in from the beach?

Thanks,

Pete

R

Rob Brownfield

Try and find an area that had rocky outcrops. Fish over the rocks on the lead up to high tide..and high tide itself. If its an open beach, get down at low tide and note any gullys etc. Fish over these.

Use a sinking weight forward or bass taper line with a 10lb+ fluoro leader of about 6-8 feet. Flies should consist of sandeel immitations etc. Also worth trying large trout lures like zonkers, muddlers, missionarys, vivas etc in white or black. Poppers fished on a floating line can also catch.

Hope that helps a wee bit

steve taylor

Reaction score
Call Ed Schliffke at Treyarnon Angling Centre (01841 - 521157) he will give you all the local info, and for a modest fee will be your angling guide and provide tackle, bait etc. If anyone can put you on to the fish, he can.