Trolley, Barrow or On your back ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Not really aimed at the commercial venue anglers, but interested on how the guys that fish the river where access isnt quite so easy, how you get on with carrying gear.
Getting my gear together today and i just dont have enough pairs of hands :eek::eek:

So what do people do these days, use a trolley, a carp barrow or neither & it all gets carried on your back ??

I already have a Porterlite2 Carp-Porter barrow , but its seems a bit overkill to me. I'm edging towards getting a trolley, but have no clue whats good & whats bad so would be grateful for any pointers. ;)

Last edited:

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
Unless I'm fishing a competition, I carry only the gear I am going to fish with, when I go on to a river. When I go carping, I carry the gear for a day session, but barrow everything for a long overnighter. Perhaps I should have said my wife barrows everything for overnighters, 'cos she bigger than me!!!!

(I'm hiding in the cupboard at the mo, in case she sees this last comment)

sagalout

Reaction score
I haven't tried a barrow but I found a trolley was useless if the ground was rough. So at the moment I carry it all, but I do find me chair is a bit heavy.

jcp01

Reaction score
I have a two rod quiver and a shoulder bag carrying all the larger tackle bits and bait, a fishing vest with lots of pockets with all the little bits and pieces stowed away, and a net bag.

The quiver and shoulder bag are slung across each shoulder with the straps crossing in the middle of the chest so that all the weight is equally distributed across the body, and the net bag is carried in the hand.

Chair is a cheap tripod affair stowed in the brolly pocket of the quiver if I'm going to be moving all the time, and a lightweight session chair if it's a static session.

I find that I can walk miles if the weight is distributed properly, but just tens of yards if not...

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
I carry it all in bags. I have a large carryall which fits most my stuff, and I also take a drawstring bag that take food, snacks, drink etc. I carry the chair in my hand but it gets heavier the further you walk with it. ;)

kevin o connor

Reaction score
I have tried to cut down on the amount of gear I carry, no matter where I am fishing, but I still end up bringing more gear than I can possably use. I start off with the best of intentions and always end up with a lot of "just in case" gear. So a trolly is a must for me. Box for bits, bucket for ground bait,
stinkbag for keep and landing nets,rod bag, chair,and most important, flask bag.:D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Different times i use different ways.

Weekender's i use a barrow, Rivers and day sessions on my back.

When roving rivers, it's just a rod, landing net, bucket with bait in, and my tackle is in my pockets, hooks, shot floats etc, sometimes i don't even take a chair.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I use a 2 rod quiver, a Diawa 30 litre rucksack and a JRC lightweight chair. I can walk miles with this, although I'm going to have to have a sort out as the rucksack is getting a bit heavy (normally because of a build up of feeders). If I'm fishing somewhere where I need a lot of bait then I can comfortably manage a bait bucket as well. The only problem is if I'm doing an overnighter on the Trent when I might need to make 2 trips to my swim (I don't posess a trolley or barrow).

The Sogster

Reaction score
For a normal day session it all goes in a 25 litre drennan rucksack. Rods go in a holdall and bait goes in a bucket/ folded up chair (they make a great carryall). So 2 on the back and one in the hand - plus a hand free for a fag.

Rickrod

Reaction score
If its a long stay then its the barrow otherwise its in the rucksack and on my back

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
So what do people do these days, use a trolley, a carp barrow or neither & it all gets carried on your back ??

For short River sessions then its a Korum 2 rod quiver, Korum Ruckbag and their bait bucket with a Korum Lightweight adjustable chair.

For longer sessions then its a 2 wheeled barrow every time due to a '****y ticker' I find it works perfectly well on most of my local rivers.

I am giving serious consideration though to the Powerwalker trolley, both GM and GW have one and it really is the perfect solution to 'aging anglers'

blankmeister

Reaction score
I've just invested in a trolley for the longer treks. As Sagalout says however these are worse than useless over rough ground. It's hard to believe I used to strap everything to my bike and cycle for miles. When we used to go Piking at Old Bury Hill, my mate and I used to carry everything on my motorbike, including a bucket of livebait:eek:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Since my river match fishing days I never take a box on the river just a quiver with 2 made up rods a landing net and handle, a chair (most times but not every) and a small korum bag with my bait and bits in. I am not a great fan of buckets myself, I much prefer something like the Korum bag for carrying bait and odds and sods and I never carry a brolly either, toooooo heavy.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Never use a keepnet other than in matches, whats the point of it?

Match or no match the "point" of a keep net is obvious. I last fished the river 20years ago and most people were using one. However, if frowned upon by the modern angler, i am happy to conform to this.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Match or no match the "point" of a keep net is obvious. I last fished the river 20years ago and most people were using one. However, if frowned upon by the modern angler, i am happy to conform to this.

Let's be clear on this; Keepnets are not frowned upon by 'the modern angler' at all.

A properly staked-out, well sited and modern keepnet is perfectly acceptable to many anglers.

Try fishing a decent Chub swim and returning your catch, even in the vicinity, and see how quickly your bites dry-up. The same can be said of Roach fishing too.

The other side of the 'keepnet argument' is akin to the lead shot debacle of some years ago, we gave that up all too quickly as well!