Andy Nellist

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This must be a good one for the Ribble and places like it.
The simplest of things can be the hardest to think of. Good thinking Andy, I will deffinately be useing it.

njb51

Reaction score
What happens if the feeder/lead fails to release from the casting hook?
Or is the point that this hook can be bent out if the feeder/lead were to become snagged?
Or am i just looking at this completely wrong?

B

Big Rik

if it fails to release from the casting hook, then it's just the same as using a normal running rig

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Then what stops it on the main line?

And if the main line breaks, what's left?

And isn't this rig meant to be a sort of safe, but semi-fixed rig?

Or am I missing the point completely?

Sorry Andy, just questions, not doubting your skills or use of this.

J

jason fisher

i'm presuming you stop it down the line in the normal way. it looks like a variation on the rotton bottom used in sea fishing to me just it's running instead of fixed.

njb51

Reaction score
Is there not more chance that the casting hook could become snagged?

alan

Reaction score
"it looks like a variation on the rotten bottom used in sea fishing"
thats what i thought and was wondering if instead of bending and weakening the clip if using the casting clips used to cast rotten bottom rigs would be safer?

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Jonny that can happen after the cast but if a fish makes off with the lead/feeder it quickly disengages because of the shallow gape of the hook. I have yet to land a fish where the hook has not disengagaed but have reeled in from a cast without it having release.

If the lead becomes snagged with the hook still engaged you simply bounce your rod against the lead a couple of times to release the hook.

Woody, the purpose of the rig as shown was to allow the lead/feeder to be shed from a running rig when fishing snaggy waters such as the ribble.

Jason, it is a variation of the rotten bottom rig used in sea fishing. The major difference apart from it being scaled down is the use of the powergum, bead and float stop as the weak link. This link will release the lead under slow pressure as well as a sudden increase in pressure. It does so much more smoothly than using line and doesn't have to keep being replaced unlike 1 1/2 lb line.

Alan, if you make up the rig using the links i use and test the strength of the hook you will be amazed. for casting 3 oz it is safe.

One thing to note is that if you forget to attahc the hook before you cast (as i have done quite a few times) the lead/feeder will come off but it will have enough forward motion to make it travel 10yards or so. Annoying when you do it but safe.

If you tie up the rig and use it you will be amazed at how simple and effective it is. It has the added bonus that you can change the lead/feeder without retying your rig.

njb51

Reaction score
Hmm, sounds good. Will have to try it sometime. I'll let you know how i get on with it.

J

jason fisher

the only problem i have with it is a purely personal one in that me and powergum don't mix.
i can make it into stop knots but everything else i've ever tried with the stuff has gone horribly wrong.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Andy, whats the advantage of using that over plasticine. Having become a convert as a result of the plasticine thread on here a while ago it struck me that you must think theres a difference, is there, or is this just another option?

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Jason, use the drennan 14lb and use single looped 4 turn grinners to attach it.

Graham, i'd agree that where flow and distance allow the use of plasticine then that is a good route to go. personally the fatc that plasticine smells puts me off using it. But then I'm paranoid about tainting my baits e.g. i won't fill up my car on the way fishing.

J

jason fisher

on the subject of tainting baits i won't even use soap the night before i go.

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
I can vouch for that about Jason!

If you want a loop in power gum try a figure of 8 knot rather than a double overhand.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Never thought about the smell of the plasticine putting fish off, wouldn't it be possible to soak it in some sort of flavour Andy. I would have thought it would take in a flavour quite well, it would put your mind at rest at the very least, and maybe act as an attractor as well.

NEIL WATSON 3

Reaction score
HELLO MR NELLIST,JUST TAKING A LOOK AT SOME YOUR CRACKING FISH HOPE YOUR WELL,NEIL WATSON PARK STREET PITS