Fishing on TV

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
None fishing programmes like soaps

Why is it when 'fishing' is always featured as part of a TV programme (most recently Emerdale) those shown attempting to fish always quite obviously have never even seen a fishing rod let alone fished with one. The latest showed 'Rod' loading up his car with a brand new seat box and made-up landing net and handle. On the bank Rod and his mate Terry are using what looked like short solid glass rods and other most unsuitable tackle. Also in Emerdale the fish are always killed, but that probably more a Yorkshire Dales thing ;)

On a recent episode of 'Doctors' (yes I do lead a very sad life) the police sergeant is pictured holding his rod by the but cap whilst attempting to reel in.(common in most non angling angling features)

Do these programme makers not have any 'advisors' on activities such as angling? At the end of most TV programmes various advisors i.e. legal, medical, technical and even veterinary are shown, but angling is always portrayed with only fools and idiots partaking in the sport.

Should the Angling Trust, or at least the ADB not be giving advise to these programme makers in order to better promote angling to the wider public?

Unless the general public make a special effort to view programmes such as 'Catching the Impossible' most will hold the opinion that the sport of angling is only for half and dimwits.

'Angling' needs all the good publicity it can get, only recently we had a BBC Radio5 interview with a lad giving angling tuition to returning injured soldiers turned in an anti angling opportunity by the programme presenter :mad:

Last edited:

Dave Burr

Reaction score
It bugs me too but I can't see TV companies going for accuracy when the rest of their programs are full of such dribble. As an ex-copper, when the missus is watching some god awful police drama I am banned from interjecting with comments such as "that wouldn't happen" and "holding items with a hanky wipes the prints off" etc, etc.

It is, after all, just telly.

904_cannon

Reaction score
You and I know that 'fishing' is not normally carried out in the way it is portrayed by programme makers Stealph, but do the other 6m (less however 'anglers' there are) know that?

Sadly spinal nerve root damage makes TV viewing an increasing part of my life these days.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Why is it when 'fishing' is always featured as part of a TV programme (most recently Emerdale) those shown attempting to fish always quite obviously have never even seen a fishing rod let alone fished with one.

Now, when they asked me to do an Eastenders once, on location rather than the set, they said they wanted an angler so I took along all my gear. This surprised them and they said they had some equipment already, but were rather embarrased when comparing it to the stuff I'd brought.

The a/d said last time they had a guy on fishing he didn't know which end of the rod to hold and I said, they usually hold it right at the butt of the handle and makes it looks stupid. I should add that he was an angler also!!! So should know better.

Now my part wasn't big, I was shipped over to the other side of the GU canal and told to tackle up. In went the keep net as well and for a while I pretended with just a float on. Wasn't long before I got bored and stuck a hook on with a pellet, did me no good, I blanked. :(

It was fun doing it though as Barbara Windsor was in it and she is great, a wonderful person, IMO. Before I got in the boat to go across she shouted "Try and catch one so we can get it on film!"

I am listed with the agency as an angler and angling advisor, but that and a "The Bill" are the only two I've done as an angler. And you are right John, they do look like idiots who normally do it.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
At least we can all rest in the peaceful knowledge that we have our very own idiot to show them the correct way to do it ............... :D :j

904_cannon

Reaction score
I hope you have an Equity Card Jeff, solidarity and all that ;)

Going back to the Emmerdale theme, I wonder whether Rod's mate Terry, who went fishing with him as a last minute spur of the moment thing actually had a Rod License?
Or is ITV condoning fishing without a license?

Time to pull tight the draw strings of my anorak and settle down for the night :eek:

Last edited:

preston96

Reaction score
Now, when they asked me to do an Eastenders once,

It was fun doing it though as Barbara Windsor was in it and she is great, a wonderful person, IMO. Before I got in the boat to go across she shouted "Try and catch one so we can get it on film!"

Did you try to show off by balancing a full pint on your "rod".........her ex gangster boyfriend could only manage a half! :wh