Predator & Prey

F

Fred Bonney

What a picture,great stuff.
Would it have eventually have swallowed it, or choked?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Great pictures and what a lovely area in Digby, NS.

Did you try the famous Digby Bay Scallops?
Those things are the size of saucers and really delicious!

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Not surpirsed at all.

We netted a small backwater at Medmenham once with the help of a fisheries man, Martin Moore (he's bloody good, if you want his number Email me).

Just after lunch he came walking along the bank cradling a 6 lb pike and said "Take a look at this."

I thought he was going to show me some horrible sores, which a couple that we had removed had some hideous wounds. Then he turned the pike around.

6lb pike with another pike of at least 4lbs down it's stomach and the tail filled it's mouth.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Excellent photos - even for a Nikon!!

I once caught a pike in the Fens that couln't have been more than a pound. It had nearly swallowed a whole half mackerel!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

No Fred.

Fish breath through gills, not through their throats like we do.

F

Fred Bonney

Quite right Ron, but gills are situated next to the throat and if the throats blocked does the in and out movement of the gills still function and allow water to pass over/through them?

Clikfire

Reaction score
I wonder how the smaller fish in the picture, survived the breathing issue. May be it wasn't in shock but suffering from suffication?

J

jeffish

Re: Photos of 'pike swallowing pike', Great photos. If you go to website www.jeffish.co.uk you can see a small video clip of a pike choking on a brown trout. Jeff Coultas.