Angling Trust PR?

Bluenose

Reaction score
I was at The Cheshire Game and Angling fair today.

Angling was well represented locally in that several local clubs of all sizes had stands and were selling memberships. There were personalities such as Charles Jardine, Eoin Fairgreaves, Alan Roe and Jan Porter giving some excellent demonstrations and several tackle shops had stalls also.

There were several major organisations such as the BASC and the Countryside Alliance in attendance and yet no Angling Trust.

Massive opportunity missed I reckon as it was an excellent opportunity to sell 'the message' (as well as memberships).

Does anyone have an idea why it was a no show by the AT?

Last edited:

preston96

Reaction score
I was at The Cheshire Game and Angling fair today.

Angling was well represented locally in that several local clubs of all sizes had stands and were selling memberships. There were personalities such as Charles Jardine, Eoin Fairgreaves, Alan Roe and Jan Porter giving some excellent demonstrations and several tackle shops had stalls also.

There were several major organisations such as the BASC and the Countryside Alliance in attendance and yet no Angling Trust.

Massive opportunity missed I reckon as it was an excellent opportunity to sell 'the message' (as well as memberships).

Does anyone have an idea why it was a no show by the AT?

Is there a prize for the best answer? :j

preston96

Reaction score
It is exactly the sort of place you expect them to have a stall or something.

Bluenose

Reaction score
It is exactly the sort of place you expect them to have a stall or something.

Cheshire Game and Angling Fair, you'd think so wouldn't you mate?

I didn't get round the whole site, so maybe they were tucked away somewhere else outside of the angling area.

The BASC had a set up where people were getting one to one tuition for various aspects of shooting, and the one angling demo (fly casting) I partly watched was truly first class.

It's a captive audience mate.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I was there myself and had a chat with Jan Porter before his morning demo. Top bloke.
I went all around and no, Angling trust wasn't there. Then it was only a small show. I went with two mates who go regularly and they said it was quieter and smaller than usual. Still a great day due to some nice weather for once. Not much in the way of fishing stuff to buy, i.e. lacked any quality.

cg74

Reaction score
For an organisation desperately needing greater membership, they sure do a great job selling themselves......
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bloody laughable really!!:confused:

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
How many Game and Angling fairs are there per year?

Surely not that many and not too hard to book into the diary for the A.Tr?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Alternatively one could take the view that a stand at these shows is somewhat like 'preaching to the converted' and given that the attendees are pretty much 'devoted' anglers that they would assume that the number of new members signed-up wouldn't justify the expense of attending?

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
Alternatively one could take the view that a stand at these shows is somewhat like 'preaching to the converted' and given that the attendees are pretty much 'devoted' anglers that they would assume that the number of new members signed-up wouldn't justify the expense of attanding?

Devoted anglers? Yes most probably!

AT members? I doubt it!

coelacanth

Reaction score
The AT had a big stall at the CLA Game Fair, very good presence, the staff were constantly busy buttonholing people, but with the financial situation it's likely that they have prioritised shows where the expected visitor numbers would make it a worthwhile undertaking (I've checked the prices for stalls at the Cheshire fair just gone and it's pretty cheap, but every organisation has to optimise spend on such events).
The Countryside Alliance would have had a free presence because they are listed as one of the beneficiaries, BASC may have had a similar "bye", and the Trust are going to be present at the Cheshire Game and Country Fair in two weeks time (there may have been another show somewhere else in the country where they decided to go this past weekend)
Cheshire Game & Country Fair, Aug 28 to Aug 30, 2010

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
My wife pointed out an advert in last weeks TV guide of the Northern Echo for the Raby Castle (Co Durham) Game Show where the AT will be there, I wont be though.

Just a point that the AT might consider, and enable it to reduce the membership fee. I have recently changed and upgraded my house and contents insurance and I asked just what the Public Liability part actually coveres, and yes it covers exactly what the AT liability covers, except for abroad. As I have no intentions of fishing abroad I don't really need the AT cover. Perhaps the AT could offer the liability cover as an additional 'extra' and reduce its costs to members, not that the £20 will have any influence in me not renewing next May

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
How many Game and Angling fairs are there per year?

Surely not that many and not too hard to book into the diary for the A.Tr?

Plenty of Game Fairs Steve but very few where angling is that well represented. Angling is well represented at the CLA fair [the biggest] though it is mostly game angling.All the usual suspects are normally there. After the CLA Angling "coverage" is very patchy....there used to be an Angling Fair at Chatsworth but that's now defunct.I went a couple of times but frankly it wasn't worth the journey...unless you wanted a very poor quality keepnet or the latest carp reel by Kamikaze Inc.

Next biggest I guess the Midlands which is a good fair but Fisheman's row is pretty poor. I guess Angling doesn't draw the punters like horses,dogs,guns and ferrets do and when all said & done the cost of a stand is very high and whoever has to decide whether the outlay is worth it.

Shame really.There used to be a very good Angling/Game Fair at Broadlands each year but the Romsey toff get very agitated about parking and riff raff in their village so that got tugged too.

When I say riff raff I meant the likes of me and Big Parksy of course. Ruffians and scallywags are not welcome in Toffshire.

Last edited:

rains

Reaction score
My wife pointed out an advert in last weeks TV guide of the Northern Echo for the Raby Castle (Co Durham) Game Show where the AT will be there, I wont be though.

Just a point that the AT might consider, and enable it to reduce the membership fee. I have recently changed and upgraded my house and contents insurance and I asked just what the Public Liability part actually coveres, and yes it covers exactly what the AT liability covers, except for abroad. As I have no intentions of fishing abroad I don't really need the AT cover. Perhaps the AT could offer the liability cover as an additional 'extra' and reduce its costs to members, not that the £20 will have any influence in me not renewing next May
i Know am going to look stupid for asking this but what included in this membership and what does it cover i dont understand why people are paying to be members what does a member ship grant you thanks in advance :)

preston96

Reaction score
Alternatively one could take the view that a stand at these shows is somewhat like 'preaching to the converted' and given that the attendees are pretty much 'devoted' anglers that they would assume that the number of new members signed-up wouldn't justify the expense of attending?

One could certainly take that view Peter.....but others may see it as sitting on ones laurels! ( insert a smilie sigh here) :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
i Know am going to look stupid for asking this but what included in this membership and what does it cover i dont understand why people are paying to be members what does a member ship grant you thanks in advance :)

Well, I'd say that it might just 'secure' the future of fishing in England and Wales, but that would be a simplification.

Other than that, you get: 3rd. Party Indemnification Insurance (think about the cost of the lawsuit if your 3oz lead broke free and hit another angler on the head?) a Fish for Free programme, and support to Fish Legal, which is the successor of the good old ACA, which surely no one can deny is worth the £20 on its' own (?)

Okay, a lot of older members here will probably point to my earlier arguments against the way that the AT was set-up, (but that is now water under the bridge) but I've joined, and I will give them a good 3 or 4 years to prove that my support is worthwhile.

To each and all who are either 'against' or a little on the 'anti' side might I repeat what an angler, who I respect greatly, wrote to me some time ago:

"It takes a bigger man to set aside his personal reservations for the greater good of the sport of angling"