making your own baits?

S

swordsy

Being a chef I come across lots of ingredients which are suitable for bait making plus I also gain a lot of pleasure from catching fish on homemade baits rather than relying on the current shop favourites.

Do you enjoy the preperation of your own bait or do you feel that time in the kitchen is wasted and would have been better spent on the bank?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Difficult one Swordsy.

I have never been one for massively complicted baits just well prepared simple ones to suit the prevailing conditons, which I then try to present as well as possible.

Howver complicated a bait, if it is not well presented in the right circumstances you will struggle on most occasions.

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Being a chef, consider well the benefits of adding Nam Pla, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce. Not necessarily all in one bait, of course.

It's not too different from preparing a nice meal for someone to have them say it was the best ******** they've ever tasted. If the fish go mad for something you've created it gives you an extra buzz.

Keep to basic threads - sweet, sour, salt, or spicy. I honestly don't believe fish can detect the delicate difference between toffee syrup and maple syrup, so long as it's got a good nutritious base.

F

Frothey

they can, but whether they give a toss is another thing!

N

NottmDon

Making your own baits is something most anglers do anyway if you think about it. Colouring sweetcorn, flavouring bread or meat even putting turmeric on their maggots. If you mean boilies and pellets/pastes then not only is it good fun (maybe Im sad lol!)but you also follow the learning curve and discover things about nutrition from a fishes point of view (if they have one!). I make my own baits and the prep is all part of the excitement of planning a fishing trip. Sometimes you make a bait that you think will be good for barbel and you end up cacthing another species that seem to go mad for it! Is this a failure? Well it got me my personal best bream this year, I saved the recipe and now I have a unique bait with which to target bream. Whilst im no chef I cook to a high standard and with many styles from classical french to Indian and the amount of food based ingredients you can use in bait making is endless. Youve got fusion cooking Swordsy why not fusion baits? As a chef I'd hazard a guess and imagine youd enjoy bait making. If you get a misery of a diner you could always feed him some boilies in aspic lmao!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

So when are you going to invite me for dinner at your place Don. I do like Classic French food, especially dishes from Provence......:eek:)

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I was to make my own pellet paste, and wanted it to be spicy useing a sauce from the supermarket, what would you suggest, or what quantity would you use to a pound mix?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

There's old Lee on the bank, dressed in Chef's hat, preparing the latest haute cuisine for the barbel.

I'll bet it tastes better than some of the dishes he prepares at work.

Changing the subject, how do those chefs in "Ready Steady Cook", in 20 minutes, manage to make some of the meat dishes taste so good, or perhaps some of the contestants are kidding?

N

NottmDon

No such thing as a free lunch Ron.you should know that lol!

Baz thats a case of trial and experiment to a degree. When you use a Nash, Solar, or any other manufacturers spice based additive/ flavouring they give you precise measures to use in a a six egg base mix (which uses around 14 to 16 ozs of base mix), whilst not written in stone they are generally good as a rule of thumb.If I were using a supermarket sauce such as sweet chillie or garlic and chillie I would make up a two egg mix which would use a lot less than a pound of base mix simply because if the baits a duffer then you haven't wasted too much time and money creating it! To a two egg mix I would try maybe 5ml of sauce and I'd use some Robin Red to colour it as this is also a little spicey in itself. A two egg mix would give you enough paste for a good session of fishing in winter. If I then wanted to see if the fish would react to a higher level of sauce I'd glug some of the hookbait in the sauce and see what the reaction was. Of course you could always shape and boil some of the dough youve made for around a minute or so (depending on the size of the bait) and then youd have a boilie type bait you could wrap the paste around, which is a method thats producing good results for me at the moment. Home made boilie type baits are generally a lot softer than "shelf life" boilies so the flavour leaks out so much better, and of course its a boilie "type" bait so it can be any shape you like not just round. Hope this helps Baz and is not too long winded!

S

swordsy

hey,ron its a toque not a hat and i am absolutly b******* as i have been to the wednesday match today and finished at the dogs i hve imbibibed seven pints two jacks and a johney walker black lable. i do not think i will be up too early tomorrow.

S

swordsy

baz i will send you big swordsies swim stim in the morning!troo bo******* at the moment

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like breakfast's off tomorrow then.

Some things are possible in 20 minutes, but perfect rice takes time and 20 minutes is from when it is boiling. There's no such thing as 'al dente' rice. Then doesn't every chef come on and say "There's only one way to cook rice." and they all proceed to tell you their way and they're all different.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank Don and Swordsy, I appreciate the help, and it wasn't too long winded.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers Eric, or should I say Schubert? hahaha, do you remember that one?
I have known John for some years now, he's not a bad bloke. Carp are okay, it's just some of the people that fish for them. That's enough, I'm not going their tonight.