poncho

sagalout

Reaction score
Ok, so following on from Comfortably_Numb's wet chair question, who uses a poncho instead of an umbrella, and what are the disadvantages?

I am asking because the thought of not lugging the umbrella is very appealing, and also I invariably sit worrying about the wind in the brolly.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Ok, so following on from Comfortably_Numb's wet chair question, who uses a poncho instead of an umbrella, and what are the disadvantages?

I am asking because the thought of not lugging the umbrella is very appealing, and also I invariably sit worrying about the wind in the brolly.

Good question ... i will be following with interest

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Brolly every time. you can open the tackle box, or sarnie box without too much water getting in, I guy rope the brolly down in the wind.

Water proofs and poncho's may be OK for personal waterproofing, but the bolly does protect the kit too.

As to looking a numpty I have a fishing hat for that!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I absolutely detest fishing in the rain and simply wont go fishing if its forecast having long since given up on the idea that getting soaked is actually worth it. The ONLY exception is if I am away on a trip when its forced upon me.Waterproofs over umbrella every time for me. I hate umbrella's...I can never get the damned things set up properly. A plague on them !

sagalout

Reaction score
Why not just use quality breathable waterproofs instead of risking looking like a complete numpty?
Because as Comfortably_Numb pointed out, the chair fills with water and then you get a wet 4rse. As for looking like a numpty, I have to agree with Mithrandir, I got a tw4t hat for that.

I was hoping that I could stuff me back an unused bits under under me chair and they would stay dry with the poncho covering it all.

I don't find a brolly particularly successful if there is any wind, the rain just seems to blow in and wet everything anyway.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I was hoping that I could stuff me back an unused bits under under me chair and they would stay dry with the poncho covering it all.

This is probably not too helpful given the current state of Korum products availability, but:

The Korum Ruckbag fits very neatly under the Korum Lightweight Chair and being top opening it's very easy to pull out and find anything you need.
(see Gary's review here: Best of the Rest - The Korum Ruckbag - FishingMagic Online Fishing Magazine.)

I've used mine for a few seasons now, usually with the 2 rod quiver (enough even for me on a day session) and under a Korum Stormshield 'brolly' the whole package, including me, stays dry and comfortable in even the nastiest conditions.

I guess you could use a poncho, but then what happens when you need to land and unhook a fish, you'd have to take it off or at least get your arms free (?)

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
This is probably not too helpful given the current state of Korum products availability, but:

The Korum Ruckbag fits very neatly under the Korum Lightweight Chair and being top opening it's very easy to pull out and find anything you need.
(see Gary's review here: Best of the Rest - The Korum Ruckbag - FishingMagic Online Fishing Magazine.)

I've used mine for a few seasons now, usually with the 2 rod quiver (enough even for me on a day session) and under a Korum Stormshield 'brolly' the whole package, including me, stays dry and comfortable in even the nastiest conditions.

I guess you could use a poncho, but then what happens when you need to land and unhook a fish, you'd have to take it off or at least get your arms free (?)

I've just come back from trying on a Poncho & though i didnt buy it, on the face of it does look like there is plenty of room to cover a chair. It had arm holes, which would allow landing & unhooking. I would think it conid be very beneficial if can stay in seated position as its a lot of material to cart about/get caught up etc if needed to follow a larger fish down river.

captain carrott

Reaction score
Snugpak Poncho

Here's one fopr reference. It has arms and thumb loops! Designed to cover you and your kit.

Personally I prefer a brolly - I can't see what the problem is other than weight. Am I missing something?

yeah they're a pain in the crevice.

you either have to hammer or screw them into the bank, they fall over constantly they never actually stop you getting wet because no matter what direction you aim the thing the wind always blows the other way, they get in the way when your casting. and without fail just when you think you finally have the soddin thing set up right the wind blows they fall over knock half your tackle in the water and smack you round the head.
i hate the things

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Snugpak Poncho

Here's one fopr reference. It has arms and thumb loops! Designed to cover you and your kit.

Personally I prefer a brolly - I can't see what the problem is other than weight. Am I missing something?

I can live with the weight of a brolly, but i do find them restrictive & have never found a simple & effective away of securing one down, unless i take my 60" Oval that allows pegging & storm poles.

I've tried the Korum Day Shelter in the past but wasnt overly impressed, i also have Fox Evo shelter. but it needs a fair bit of space to get low enough.
If a 45"/50" sized shelter existed that can be securely fixed to the floor, i'm certainly open to trying it.

That Snugpack one may be just the job though

sagalout

Reaction score

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I thought sod it, I'll get one and try it, nothing ventured, nothing gained. As an added bonus I can sit next to Slime and make a pair of numptys :D

Anyways I have ordered one of these US WATERPROOF HOODED RAIN RIPSTOP PONCHO Woodland Camo on eBay (end time 09-Sep-10 01:12:13 BST)

I will report back after I have used it a couple of times, of course it may be a while because it never rains in on the English Riviera :rolleyes:

Nice one ... i will be very interested to hear. I went to buy a Snugpak Poncho yesterday but everyone out of stock of Olive until September, so in meantime i have treated myself to some Protak waterproofs.

sagalout

Reaction score
Well I actually used the poncho yesterday because I wanted to fish the pellet waggler and I can't do that from under the brolly.

It's a good bit of kit for keeping dry and comfortable and covering the chair, but it is absolutely useless for float fishing, the rod butt is forever caught up in the loose material and whenever you try and move about in the swim the poncho will catch on something. There is just to much loose material.

Last edited:

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Another advantage with Poncho's, is that if you have'nt had a shave for three days, you have a cigarillo dangling from the corner of your mouth, you wear a stetson, and look at everyone with an icy stare,..... nobody, but nobody will bother you !!!

little oik

Reaction score
Go to argos and get yourself a cycle cape, cheap as chips available in sensible colours small enough to be carried in a pocket in your tackle bag (it folds up up like the old pacmac ),and it will spread out wide enough to cover the chair whilst you are wearing it .
Brilliant to carry around for those special occasions.
nuff said

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
I use the standard british army goretex with a sundridge bib and brace and usually no brolly unless the forecast is horrendous or I'm fishing static on a stillwater.

To be honest for the majority of our wet weather the seat does get a bit wet but the majority runs off the coat and off the B&B and for a short session, say up to 5 hours I never get a wet or cold ar5e but I also wear sleepskin bottoms underneath combats!

On the odd occasion when it's been 'biblical' and fella's are building arcs and collecting animals and I've not had a brolly then I've maybe been a bit damp here and there, but nothing too menacing. Provided the layers keep your heat in, you'll still be warm.

Goretex coats are the way to go, either that or the old stylee sundridge igloo suits. The MkIII I had was ace, the current model doesn't look as hardwearing but I may be wrong.