What is the score with keepnets ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
I would like to raise the issue of using keepnets & whether it is an acceptable practice these days. I havent used one for many many years as have been concentrating on Carp fising.
When i last fish the river the keepnet was very much part of most anglers armour.

I am sensing there maybe a split on this, so i am keen to get feedback from both sides so i can make my own decision. I wont lie, my initial feelings are the benefits of using a keepnet are of not returning fish in the swim, the enjoyment of "mini matches" between friends and general satisfaction of seeing whats been caught at end of day, however if completely frowned upon these days, i of course will take this on board.

I would also like to ask someone to confirm my current nets are suitable http://www.bosstackleonline.co.uk/acatalog/Nets.html#aRBK1 and if possible update my knowledge on the correct/safest way to utilise one (do's & dont's would be very helpful).

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
If rules allow then do as you feel.

Make sure there is sufficient water and the net is fully submerged, try and stake the net out at either end, and in hot weather or possible low oxygen conditions consider releasing the fish earlier than usual or maybe give the net a miss for that session.

I used a keepnet a few weeks back catching small tench, gudgeon, chub, roach and rudd on my local river, I later caught a bream of 6.4 but didn't put that in the net. I chose to use the net because the swim was very close and didn't want to constantly keep putting fish back in the swim.

I'm sure those nets you suggest are fine but you can get a 2 net set from middy with a stink bag for £30. It compromises a 'carp' net and a silver fish net.

rains

Reaction score
I don't see the harm aslong as the net is submerged its all good infact am picking a new one up tomorrow its nice at the end of the day to have a look at your whole catch

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I personally hate them, I have used one twice, in the aces chavs competition. I understand the reasoning of not putting fish back into a swim to spook the others, but I just hate that lifting them out, all crushed together and then seeing them plonked onto the bank for a photo or weigh in.

I do not see the harm in keeping them netted for a few hours, but I would be tempted to release them straight from the water.

Am I being too sensitive??

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Moderator Hat: off - the follwing are my personal views:

As I said on a previous thread, I see nothing at all wrong with the use of a keepnet; providing it is cporrectly sited, well staked out and is of the right modern (lilly mark) materials.

To echo Ed's comments, don't leave it out during hot spells or in periods of low oxygen, simply take the net and contents as far downstram as possible and empty it there, then use it again if bites keep coming.

To return Chub, in particular, into the swim where you have caught them, or even close by, is the kiss of death to further fishing.

We anglers have a lot to contend with and if we bow to those who decree that keepnets are not 'friendly; then that is the road to a downward spiral.

We've already lost lead shot in the smaller sizes in an ill-conceived and uneducated 'drive' so let's not make the same mistake again, eh?

Moderator Hat: back on.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

Am I being too sensitive??

Sorry Mike, but in a word: Yes!

Providing that you lift the keepnet carefully, slowly and with care, then no damage will result.

Logically speaking; if keepnets were that bad for fish care, then why would commercial match lakes allow them?

After all their only 'selling point' is their fish stocks, so, if keepnets were so bad, then they would have been 'banned' a long time ago on those venues!

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
If you have not used a keepnet for years why would you want to start now?
Use one or don't what difference does it make what I think ?

ps I use them

I havent used a keepnet for years because i havent fished for "silvers" for over 20 years. Some aspects of fishing are very different nowadays, unhooking mats being prime example. If i tried unhooking a carp on my syndicate without one of those i would very swiftly be shown the exit.

Last edited:

Mithrandir

Reaction score

As I said on a previous thread, I see nothing at all wrong with the use of a keepnet; providing it is cporrectly sited, well staked out and is of the right modern (lilly mark) materials.

To echo Ed's comments, don't leave it out during hot spells or in periods of low oxygen, simply take the net and contents as far downstram as possible and empty it there, then use it again if bites keep coming.

To return Chub, in particular, into the swim where you have caught them, or even close by, is the kiss of death to further fishing.

We anglers have a lot to contend with and if we bow to those who decree that keepnets are not 'friendly; then that is the road to a downward spiral.

We've already lost lead shot in the smaller sizes in an ill-conceived and uneducated 'drive' so let's not make the same mistake again, eh?

Providing that you lift the keepnet carefully, slowly and with care, then no damage will result.

Logically speaking; if keepnets were that bad for fish care, then why would commercial match lakes allow them?

After all their only 'selling point' is their fish stocks, so, if keepnets were so bad, then they would have been 'banned' a long time ago on those venues!

Thanks Peter, I have only ever fished in the world of safety shot, unhooking mats, non-tether rigs and all the modern politically correct methods.

Nice to hear your honest opinion.

:w :w :w (especially for you, some of those beloved smilies)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Some aspects of fishing are very different nowadays, unhooking mats being prime example. If i tried unhooking a carp on my syndicate without one of those i would very swiftly be shown the exit.

Would you any qualms about using a carp sack to retain a PB or 'special' Carp caught after dark so that you might photograph it in the best light of the ealry morning?

I certainly wouldn't.

Further, how about a high double figure Bream to be ratained over night in a Queensford Retention System?

Mike, as you know the question of 'keepnest' is one of my pet subjects.

It's nice to see you back on FM b.t.w. - Cheers.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Would you any qualms about using a carp sack to retain a PB or 'special' Carp caught after dark so that you might photograph it in the best light of the ealry morning?

I certainly wouldn't.

Further, how about a high double figure Bream to be ratained over night in a Queensford Retention System?

Mike, as you know the question of 'keepnest' is one of my pet subjects.

It's nice to see you back on FM b.t.w. - Cheers.

Personally no. I've never understood the need for daylight photos, but there is an argument that sacks can aid recovery before returning a fish after a long fight, but thats probably a debate for another thread :)
I personally would not retain any large sized fish, whether net, sack or any other retainer other than for medical reasons or in the net while getting camera ready.

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
I think* it was Bob Roberts who made the suggestion possibly on this forum (wtte) that a bar*el placed in a kee*net for a short while after capture is not a barbel that will be carried away by the current and end up dead downstream.

The point being that some fish go back 'a little early' and struggle immediately after. If they were in a net/sack the suggestion was that the captor could help with the recovery by holding the fish in the upright position facing upstream etc etc.

*apologies if not

captain carrott

Reaction score

has something changed that i don't know about? smaller sizes?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
has something changed that i don't know about? smaller sizes?

ops, thanks Jason, please insert "except in the . . . "

It's difficult to type a reply when the fingers are typing quicker than the brain is engaged, not to mention trying to answer e-mails at the same time.

Thanks for pointing it out . . .

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Not sure about this but I have read somewhere that nets are a very good way of transfering disease from water to water..........some waters have dipping facilities to help avoid this but many don't and until someone invents a spray or whatever to deal with this I won't use them.....IMO

I agree nets are good to help fish recover properly prior to release but NOT if a large barbel(in perticular) is shoved in without FIRST having held the fish facing upstream to FULLY recover......Martin Bowler showed this very well on the last C4 fishing prog some weeks ago.....last year I saw two young chaps trying to deal with this situation but wondering why the small barbel was on its back(it did survive!)

Definitely a personal chioce as all responsible anglers will use them correctly and I have,on many occasions wished I carried one when several very good fish turn up on the same day and a few group pictures would have been nice..........in these situations I rely on memory!!

Excellent thread and very well introduced...........some good answers as well!

Last edited:

Mithrandir

Reaction score
to prevent disease transfer on nets, washing them out and leaving them to fully dry in sunlight is supposed to kill off bugs, I think the ultraviolet kills germs as does completely drying out.

I often fish for grayling, and these need to be fully recovered before returning, I hold them head into the current and gently rock them to get re-oxygenated, I have never considered that a net is a good way of doing this, although there was a retaining device, for pike or zander I think, that was shown on here a couple of years back that would be good for revival of fish.

captain carrott

Reaction score
ops, thanks Jason, please insert "except in the . . . "

It's difficult to type a reply when the fingers are typing quicker than the brain is engaged, not to mention trying to answer e-mails at the same time.

Thanks for pointing it out . . .

you actually had me worried then i thought they'd banned lead in sizes smaller than 8's and it had passed me by as i still have lead in 8's and smaller

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
you actually had me worried then i thought they'd banned lead in sizes smaller than 8's and it had passed me by as i still have lead in 8's and smaller

Thankfully that hasn't happened, yet.

Like you I still use lead in the very smallest sizes but only usually when trotting a stick float, or on some of my more sensitive pole rigs.

captain carrott

Reaction score
Thankfully that hasn't happened, yet.

Like you I still use lead in the very smallest sizes but only usually when trotting a stick float, or on some of my more sensitive pole rigs.

it's a rare float setup for me that's not finished off with an 8 or 10 tell tale a couple of inches from the hook