shimano line spin

S

swordsy

I load the line correctly and for the first few hours all is well but soon the entire thing is a mess, is this something to do with the reel or is it me? I use swivels in my rigs and cannot see how a spinning bait could cause this.....totally confused!

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
I think spinning reels are called such because they spin the line rather like an old spinning jenny.

First thing to check. When you load the line, it must come off the spool you bought in the same direction as the reel is winding it on. Most reels (not old Mitchells) wind in a clockwise direction, looking from the front. To counter this the line must come off in an anit-clockwise direction from the spool as you look down onto it.

Some spools aren't designed with this in mind, they're square or have cut-outs or lips. Also the spools you buy should be near enough the same on diameter as the spool you load on to. Difficult since most have a bigger diameter, but that's the best way to eliminate spin when loading the line.

Your reel will spin the line with each cast and retrieve. Try wrapping some tape or decorative ribbon onto your spool so that it's all flat and tie a big weight to the end. Open the bail and pull the tape off as if you were casting and wind in again. Do this half a dozen times if you can and see the twist you have put into the tape.

Some lines are better than other at taking the spin. Braids are the worst, especially the soft flimsy ones. Swivels don't improve things much as far as spinning the line is concerned, it's all an old wives tale.

S

sash

And if else fails try a Gardner Spin Doctor to get rid of the line twist, brilliant bits of kit!

D

david bruce 1

An old tip for straightening out line is let it flow freely with the current down a river then retrieve

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Find a grass meadow and run the line out fully then wind it back on. The twist will fall out as you retrieve it back through the grass.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Lee, I've had loads of hassle with certain lines (namely Fox Soft Steel, Daiwa Sensor & ESP Big Game) but Krystonite is much more well behaved. It's just so much more limp. Do a comparision in a shop and you'll see.

I reckon the formerly mentioned lines could do with the Spin Doctor treatment after each session, but my Krystonite has only needed this once in around 50 trips this season!

It's not as abrasion resistant as is claimed (especially a problem on the Trent) so I use a leader of 20lb mono, around 5ft in length on snaggy stretches.

S

sash

Andy,

I used to do that (usually through wet grass) but the spin doctor is so much less hassle, plus I was always concerned with line damage. You're fishing anyway so it takes less time than having a quick lead around.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Yhe best advice from me is to follow Andy.

I've done this for years.

S

sash

What, easier than attaching the spin doctor (in effect, a lead) to the end of your line, blasting it as far as you can and winding it back in through the water? Oh, and spending ?2 on the leads as well. Ok.

Have you ever used one Ron?

J

jason fisher

i always took ron to be more of a classical music man than rock music, not sure he'd like the spin doctors.

N

NottmDon

Im more worried that hes been following Andy for years! And now he wants us to do the same lol!!
Seriously lads this spin Doc sounds a good gizmo anyone got a link with a pic of one as I cant visulaise it?
Having changed from ESP to Fox Steel I can understand what Matt says, speci lines are like floats... methinks they catch more anglers than fish! Having said that I'm gonna have a look at Krystonite as it sounds something like what I require from a speci line.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I find it amazing the number of people that recommend horrible springy lines.

On Sunday I was fishing the Trent and a couple of time the Daiwa Sensor line sprung off the reel after a cast and tangled around the bail arm. If a Barbel had taken the bait the worse case scenario could have been me with a snapped rod and a Barbel towing 30 yards of line around until the lead clip did it's job.

I bought the Sensor after recommendations from others because I wanted something more abrasion resistant that Krystonite.

I'm going to try 15lb Krystonite next. The 10lb has been great for most of my Barbel fishing this year. I eben use it for hooklengths!

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
"Yhe best advice from me is to follow Andy.
I've done this for years."

I bet he's never noticed you Ron. He'd feel a bit obvious with all of us following him everywhere. And a little worried if I may say so.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

The spin doctor rotates in the opposite direction to the direction of twist caused by most fixed spools. They do work but they have limitations spoecifically its hard to tell when you hgave removed all the twist.

Laying the line on grass allows the twist to fall out of the line naturally and doies remove all of the twist. It is the best method although it does require you to walk the line out.

S

sash

Andy,

After you've retrieved the Doctor hold the rod up with the weight dangling about 4/5ft below the tip. Depending on which direction it spins (clockwise, anti or not at all) will tell you what line twist, if any is still left. Agreed, walking the line out (or casting it out, removing the lead and retrieving) does work but is a time consuming job.

Matt,

Have you tried the Sensor clear? Been very impressed with this in 8 and 10lb this year.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Sash, It's the Sensor Clear in 12lb I've been using. I really hate the stuff. It is tougher than Krystonite but it's so springy.

I appreciate that the heavier the line the stiffer it will be.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Other than when fishing long range if I'm using 8 or 10 I use W B Clark Match which is a lovely line.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I use Clarke's for Pole Rigs but I hadn't thought of using it for Mainline. That's something to try...