Fox Digital Scales

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I'm in need of some new scales and the Fox digital scales appeal.

The fact that you can store weights as you catch them would be really useful in summer when trying to log multiple catches of Barbel.

I'd really welcome the opnions of those that have used the scales.

Milo

Reaction score
Matt, I can't comment on the Fox scales you are asking about. However, my Rapala digi scales has a 10 weight memory... much cheaper too...

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Milo, I know of many people who've complained of the Rapalas and one guy who sent them back. The seem to suffer from the weight bouncing around so you can't get a settled weight.

Have you found this to be a problem?

Milo

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with mine, Rapala ProGuide 50, to be honest. If the fish is moving about, then yes, the weight does go up and down a little, but surely this is the same with mechanical scales and other digi's?

S

sash

Salter digital = the best!!!!!

Expensive, but have been hard worked for 3 seasons in rain, mud and snow(and the odd bit of sun)without a single problem.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Loads of people I know have been using the Salters and strongly recommend them.

The Fox are a little less expensive and have a little extra functionality to them. So I fancied giving them a go.

B

Big Rik

who makes them Matt?

like most things, fox will just be sticking their name on the front

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Rik, I'm not sure who makes them - they look unlike any others I've seen for sale elsewhere.

I went into my local tackle shop today and had a look at them and they seem well made and the fold out handles make a great weigh bar.

ps. I can't imagine everything Fox make is just them sticking their name on products. I get the impression many of products are designed in the UK and made by various factories in the far east. Most of the stuff will be made under a unique licence to prevent copies turning up at cheaper prices.

Y

yoggy

I bought some Berkley digi scales last year off e.bay for 22quid..i cant fault them,the fox ones are way to expensive,but i"m sure as usual with FOX on the front they"ll sell by the bucket load!.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I read that the Berkley ones give the weights as decimals, ie. 9.5lbs instead of 9lb 8oz. I'd have to carry a calculator around with me!

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
You'd have been useless in an accounts office back in the days of LSD, Matt.

M

michael rouse

Fox scales are very compact,accurate and easy to use. Only thing i'v got against them is that they are a bit heavy. Well worth the money when Reubons are priced at 60 something quid!

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
No, that was to recalculate gun firing and trajectory tables. Eckert and Mauchely and the Old Whistle Factory, 'Numerac' it was called.

We had to use old hand cranked jobs and Munroe's that would only work out decimals. Good fun it was, watching the Munroe's and what a racket!

Y

yoggy

MATT,my berkley scales are what you say,but its surprising how quickly you pick it up!!!!!i dont even have to think about it now!!!,there was some fox digitals on e.bay last week,i believe they went for 52quid,so perhaps it might pay you to have a look sometime you could save yourself a few quid?

N

NottmDon

For what its worth Matt theres a review of Fox Digital scales on P41 of this weeks Anglers Mail. Its got a good report with no dislikes found!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Cheers. I've only read up to around page 30 so far!

I had a look at them in a shop yesterday and they do look well designed and robust.

Still not got my hand in my pocket though!

Matty C

Reaction score
personally, I much prefer normal springly scales as apposed to digi's.. I did have a set of digis last season, n they were ok to begin with, but as things do while fishing, they got damp n turned to crap... I went into the shop this season n just got some normal old school ones.. they show ounces and half ounces accurately enough, and its no bother taking a small note book and pen to write down capture weights.. can even record where from and what bait etc that way..

If you specifically want digi's, then go for it.. but nothing can go wrong with springy scales..