I can't believe it

R

Ron Clay

On page 31 of the Latest Angling Star is an advert from a Sheffield Tackle store. In it they advertise Pike Gaffs with extending handles at ?10.00!!

Are pike gaffs actually made today? I thought gaffs were banned for all pike fishing?

Comments anyone?

R

Rob Brownfield

Probably Salmon gaffs being sold to Pike anglers as there are no Salmon left to Gaff. This is a barbaric way of landing a fish, and its been a LONG time since I have seen one used for freshwater fish in the UK. I still shudder when I see them used for Cod, Conger etc, but I guess u cant really net a 50 pound eel.

Ron, have you spoken to this shop to find out why he is selling them? What does the rod licence say about landing fish?

R

Ron Clay

No but Jim Baxter - Editor of Angling Star suggests I follow this up in incorporate it in next months Last Word. I don't see anything on the rod licence. I will phone the EA

R

Rob Brownfield

Good idea....i seem to recall there being something in regional bye laws about Gaffs etc...not sure though

R

Rob Brownfield

nice one Jon, I thought as much. I could not see them bringing in a "no knotted mesh" rule and still allow gaffs!

J

John Spink

Hey Rob,
If you look in "mr Crabtree" you will see a pike getting a "good gaffing".....Nuffin,like the "good old days" eh??? Those Pike don't like it uppem!! lol

R

Rob Brownfield

Spinky, as ever you are correct...lol. I have noticed that even you don't use a gaff on your Carp anymore. Times have changed and its aboout time you swapped your silk line for mono and your old canvas army tent for a modern brolly!..lol

J

John Spink

Yeah,Yeah...lol
I am off on holiday to England next week....Someplace called Primrose valley nr Filey...Supposedly the boat lake has Carp (to 15lb),tench and all sorts of Silverfish.....Any hints or tips oh great one???? Not for the Carp,I think I can just about manage them!!!lol...
I will be using my old Hardy glass rod to do the business on the Carp and I wont gaff them...I do have an illegal knotted net to use though!!

R

Rob Brownfield

John, I am off south next week too....some place called Norfolk..lol

Ron, I have spoken to both trading standards and the EA, its not illegal to sell gaffs, but it is illegal to use them in England and Wales!!!! Sensible huh!

I can only suggest his name is published in AM/AT/PAC mag etc...at the discretion of the editors, and all anglers told about this barbaric practice!