freshwater bass fishing

nigel charge

Reaction score
whats the general opinion of everyone out there about a fishery introducing a bass only stocked lake, they are a good sport fish. and if you think of all the other non native fish that have been introduced into this country over the centurys, including carp for all you carpies, would 1 more make any differance, and would it be a good or bad idea.
over to you.

Paul Hicks

Reaction score
You're right about a lot of non native fish being introduced over the years Nigel but I've got a feeling that all these introductions of foreign species would now be illegal. Otherwise I'm sure someone would have introduced not only bass by now but muskie. I'm sure muskie would thrive here and if someone opened a fishery holding a few 50lb+ fish they would get trampled in the rush. Foreign species always escape and spread though (often with some assistance!) and the mind boggles at the prospect of muskie turning up in say, the Hampshire Avon or the Severn.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Unlikely to happen the EA will find some regs some way to stop it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I spent nearly 25 years of my life fishing for both Large Mouth and Small Mouth Bass. Both are fascinating and exciting species.

However I would not recommend them being stocked in UK waters. The Large Mouth would not do too well as they like warm water conditions as is found in The South of The USA and the tropical parts of South Africa.

Small Mouth Bass would survive here make no mistake, but they are extremely aggressive predators, even more so than zander. They like running water and cool conditions. Smallmouth Bass will penetrate any river system, they are also prolific spawners and I think they would wreak havoc amongst out native species stocks.

W

Wolfman Woody

Wouldn't half mind some of those barramundi in the Thames. There seems to be sod all else in there right now.

S

swordsy

We have enough species to go for already or shall we bring in some arrapaima, nile perch, mekong catfish and fresh water stingray while we are at it and stock them in a specially heated lake so a bunch of tw*ts can pretend they are indianna jones type figures without leaving the luxuries of their native country.

the stocking of any non-native species only panders to the vanity of a mindless few, grow up you tw*t!if you want to catch a bass piss off to where they are endemic and dont risk my angling through your stupidity!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

We have enough now with ratfish, catfish and zander.

Let's leave it at that.

Mind you, how about a recipe for ratfish Lee. There are too many of them in our fair land as it is.

S

swordsy

love the idea.....we could open up a glitzy new sushi bar......what would we call it?

The "hatmans" ratfish diner
Hat-man clays ye olde style ratfish and chip shop

Ron i think we need to remarket rat fish i cannot see it catching on.......how about....poisson ratte?

grey squirrel is good we could stick them little buggers on the menu as well!!

nigel charge

Reaction score
swordsy, dont know who the hell you think you are, if anyone is a tw*t its you and your attitude, I put the thread on here to open up some sensible discussion, and your attack is unwarranted, I didnt say I wanted to introduce another species, I was asking for thoughts on it. so grow up and act like an adult, not a moron

S

swordsy

oooh.Get you,mr charge!!!

lets look at who is a moron shall we?

The person who introduced zander
THE people who illegally moved zander

The person who stocked brown goldfish
THE people who fish for them

The peson who stocked catfish
THE people who illegally import them so their venue gets fished.

The person who thought up the plan to stock english waters with Australian carp
THE people who will fish for them

The person who for their own benifit are willing to risk the total and irreversible shift of predator and prey eg Spains river Ebro system
THE people who think its a good idea

yes i may have been a little sharp but that is because i am passionate about what we have and can see a day not that far away when we risk losing it through the actions of a tiny minority of financially motivated MORONS who think they can play god with nature.WRONG it cannot be done the Asian tsunami was a tiny glimpse at the power of nature and we cannot control it one iota mate so before you get all hand bags open your bloody eyes will you.

check out the crayfish situation for a concise example of what destruction a single foreign species can do......NOT GOOD IS IT!

S

swordsy

Ron do you think biltong would go well with ratfish.

THERE arent any South African restaurants on the go?

We could get a niche market!

Antelope is good
Zebra was tough
Crocodile is different

THEY would all go well with ratfish....LOL!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Best eating antelope is Impala, casseroled in red wine. Best of the lot is buffalo. Like a gamey flavoured beef. Lovely.

Elephant is not bad at all.

Zebra is crap. And I don't like eating horsemeat.

Croc is excellent. They are farmed today of course. Wild crocs are protected species. The meat comes from the tail of a young croc.

Puff adder is also good.

Unfortunately due to the restrictions on the importation of meat products. It is virtually impossible to get African game meat in the UK. FMD is rife in parts of SA.

Another excellent meat is ostrich.

Better than turkey, duck or chicken.

J

jason fisher

from a purely personal point of view i hope they don't get introduced. we don't want anymore american vermin in our waters.

W

Wolfman Woody

Oh come on Lee, don't sit on the fence. Speak your mind why not.

And whilst your mind is sharp (hehe!) why not come up with a never-to-be-missed recipe for cormorant. Get people eating them for Christmas instead of poor old American turkeys.

J

jason fisher

there's a south african resteraunt in ross on wye, or there abouts.

they serve kudu, blessbok, ostritch, aligator, and all sorts of other stuff.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

One of the nicest things I've eaten is elk

F

Frothey

i prefer eating beaver ;).....

....and dont like the idea of freshwater bass. much prefer the saltwater version!