Beauchamp Court

quickcedo

Reaction score
I was told that the Barbel society had given up the rights to the above. Does anyone know who now runs this stretch of the Severn?

preston96

Reaction score
Thats a shame Fred.......and some may say thank you Barbel society for losing a water to angling?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats a shame Fred.......and some may say thank you Barbel society for losing a water to angling?

Thats' a bit unfair Paul, I'm no great fan of the Society in it's present guise but to suggest they are in some way responsible for the landowners decision is below contempt. As a tenant the society is probably one of the best a landlord could hope for.

I heard the land agent was asking a ridiculous amount of money for what is at best a mediocre fishery with difficult access and the society refused to pay it.
If you are desperate to fish it you could always join Kinver freeliners who control the other bank which is where the flow is concentrated and the fish are.

preston96

Reaction score
Thats' a bit unfair Paul, I'm no great fan of the Society in it's present guise but to suggest they are in some way responsible for the landowners decision is below contempt. As a tenant the society is probably one of the best a landlord could hope for.

I heard the land agent was asking a ridiculous amount of money for what is at best a mediocre fishery with difficult access and the society refused to pay it.
If you are desperate to fish it you could always join Kinver freeliners who control the other bank which is where the flow is concentrated and the fish are.

Why is it unfair Titus???????? is it unfair to outbid clubs that already have fishing rights and start a price hike that loses waters?

Despaerate to fish it? i'm not desparate to fish anywhere mate and i have many many happy days on the water in the past.

It was never mediocre, it could be damn good back then, but the barbs have thinned out and the BS have moved on because the members do not want to fish there.....thats fine.

But my opinion is that land owners are being given the idea that the fishing is worth more than it really is and we will all end up the losers!

Perhaps the Kinver waters are next. :wh

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Paul, the Barbel Society haven't lost the water to anglers, there was every opportunity to fish the water.
Anglers didn't want to pay though.
I don't know the full history of the fishery, but you seem to imply that the BS outbid people who already had rights, is that so?

preston96

Reaction score
Paul, the Barbel Society haven't lost the water to anglers, there was every opportunity to fish the water.
Anglers didn't want to pay though.
I don't know the full history of the fishery, but you seem to imply that the BS outbid people who already had rights, is that so?

I don't know the "bidding" history Fred, i just know it was a club water, perhaps the landowner put the price up for them and they backed out and then thw BS stepped in?.......

But my real point is about single species groups to take a short term interest in a water and then move on...because lets face it they are interested in the one species.

Surely this is not good for the long term of angling........the land owner may have had to reduce the rent again, enabling the local club to step in again.

Of course there is always the other option......angling doe's not generate enough revenue for land owners to put up with the idiots in our ranks.

not having a "go" at the BS as such Fred.

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Single species group name doesn't mean single species members from my experience, Paul. The day that sinks in the better the chance of retaining this type of water.
No member is forced to fish for barbel. I for one would have fished that water for the roach and zander as well. If I lived as close a you do.
You could have had the bream!!

What they would have got, is a peacful setting, away from those rubbish tips we see on the river bank, fishing for what they liked, all for about 15 £5 day tickets or less if there were more anglers signing up.

As for your last comment, I'm afraid to say I'm sure we will see that occuring more and more, lack of on top of it management of waters, will lead to loss of fisheries.

So, agreeing with Titus " As a tenant the society is probably one of the best a landlord could hope for."

preston96

Reaction score
Single species group name doesn't mean single species members from my experience, Paul. The day that sinks in the better the chance of retaining this type of water.
No member is forced to fish for barbel. I for one would have fished that water for the roach and zander as well. If I lived as close a you do.
You could have had the bream!!

What they would have got, is a peacful setting, away from those rubbish tips we see on the river bank, fishing for what they liked, all for about 15 £5 day tickets or less if there were more anglers signing up.

As for your last comment, I'm afraid to say I'm sure we will see that occuring more and more, lack of on top of it management of waters, will lead to loss of fisheries.

So, agreeing with Titus " As a tenant the society is probably one of the best a landlord could hope for."

15 £5 day tickets Fred?

I'm sorry mate, but that price range will only attract anglers of a certain ilk for as long as the water produces the goods.

I'm not saying you are wrong in your views, i hold them to, i love waters that are as you discribe.

Problem is we are in a minority, most anglers want cheap club run waters on rivers or they move to the comms.

I fear that "hiking" up river tickets will spell the end in the long term.

The society the best tenant..........short term yes, longterm no.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I fished the Teme on Thurs so went into Alans tackle to get a day ticket. I asked in them what was going on. They reckon that the landowner has been aproached by a single individual with the view to running a sindicate on the stretch. He was turned down. Incidently had 10 Chub and 5 Barbel from the Wards 84 stretch, top day.