Wading Boots

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I'm heading off to the Indo/Nepal border in a few weeks time to do a bit of fishing and rafting. I know it's tough but someone's got to do it. We're organising and paying our own way so it's not an all-expenses jolly-up.

Clearly I'll be spending a fair bit of time up to my whatsits in water, some of the time in the dark, mostly over rocky terrain.

It is obviously vital to protect your feet and ankles from cuts and worse. Chesties are not an option. Trainers are far from ideal and don't protect the ankles. I need a lace-up boot of some kind that can be worn in and out of water that will stand up to a fair bit of hammer. As I'll be wearing them for umpteen days in a row they have to be comfortable as well as durable.

Can anyone offer some serious practical advice, please?

W

Wolfman Woody

I these are all you're wearing and you're going in up to your crackers, Goretex is going to be a bit of a waste.

Not leather.

Perhaps a pair of Meindl or Karrimoors, the buckskin and material types. Never really been sold on Berghaus, I had a pair where when you walked away you left the soles behind you. Don't think they lasted me three months.

Merrells I have found very comfortable, but don't last before seams split, probably last you the trip though. The soles on some models can be a bit slippery on anything slightly damp, even wet grass. Vibram soles seem the best, if the boots have them.

Just as important for comfort is how you lace them. On some boots, avoid tying the bow at the top holes. Instead, go from the third hole down to the top hole then back to the second hole down and tie them there. Puts less stress across the front of your foot.

B

Big Rik

Wading boots would seem to fit the job in hand, normalling worn over stocking foot waders, but equally as good over neoprene socks.

Snowbee do some good ones, inclusing studded, spiked, cleated etc etc.