River Idle Scrooby

J

john ledger

Having fished this river on and off for nearly 50years i will be fishing the Scrooby lengh next season.This length of around 2miles has produced huge bags of fish over the last 20 years including one 100lb catch of chub roach dace and bream.Another catch included nearly 50lb of roach to over 2lb. The beauty about this section is its the middle reaches of the Idle and the flow is constant plus the swims are ones you dream about especially if you are a float angler.
There are no day tickets to fish this stretch but a book for the season cost the mammoth amount of ?12. You may well ask why i have not fished this area this season well over 3years ago i had cancer so the walk to this area was out of the question.
At this moment in time my health is ok and if anyone fancies joining me on a few sessions please let me know. Access is not easy and a fair walk is involved but the rewards can be immence
John Ledger

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I will come John, I had a look at this stretch in the summer and saw some good roach sunning themselves. The trouble with the Idle is that there are too many good stretches and not enough time to fish them all. Im going to haxey on sunday, i hope the rivers running off again because i fancy one of the bigger roach from there.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The Scrooby Length is truly stunning. It reminds me of the upper and middle reaches of The Great Ouse.

As John says, the walk is a killer. I spent a session with John their a few years ago. It looks very chubby and I'll bet there are some whopping great roach if you can find them.

Another great stretch is the one near Lound. I fished this a lot with Tag Barnes in the 60s. We had roach to nearly 2 lbs and one of the best baits was stewed wheat, especially around September time.

I'll bet there are some fair barbel in The Idle in these areas now. They are found and caught near Retford.

J

john ledger

Mike
You will be more than welcome and when i sent this thread in i had you in mind.Its a long walk and it can be difficult and i am thinking more next season than this.
On this section my best chub has been 4lb 14oz best perch 3lb 15oz dace 1lb bream 6lb 8oz plus some huge bags of roach to 2lb Regarding chub i have had plenty over 4lb and while i cannot say it will be the same as it was it could well be.
Let me know if you want to go grayling or chub fishing next Sat
Also if anyone else wants to fish the Idle at Scrooby let me know and i will make the necessary arrangements for the club membership but please no time wasters as my fishing is serious business and i am an early bird
John Ledger

J

john ledger

Ron
Will see you tomorrow and will fish above you in the swim i showed Mike im too kind
High tide is around 2pm so it could be hard for a spell see you tomorrow old pal and i mean old
John
ps Hope you are not fishing with your bonnet on Did you pinch it off a Zulu

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

No John, I's only white hunters and Boers who wear that type of hat.

S

swordsy

John
count me in, I enjoy a good walk. I would love a crack at it!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
John, I had a walk along their stretch of the Ryton in the closed season before last and intended to join for the season we're coming to the end of. Len Squires reckoned their used to to be some very big Roach in there - up to 3lb.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I fished the Ryton from a child. I grew up about 30 minutes bike ride from Blyth.

In the 50s it did contain good roach, but 3 pounders - never. You did well to catch a pounder in those days.

What did exist then were probably some of the biggest dace in England. I had one 1lb 4oz and lots over 12 oz. Tag Barnes also had many over 12 oz but he never made the pound mark.

It was for a few years the best dace venue in the north, but we kept pretty quiet about it.

J

john ledger

You are right Ron. I have never heard of roach anywhere near that size in Ryton Welbeck Lakes yes but never Ryton.3lb chub is a good fish for Ryton

J

john ledger

Lee
Will give you a ring about Idle at Scrooby.Are you still at HMP ARMLEY are have you been released early

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I must admit I was a little dubious myself. 3lb'er, in a little river, up North?

S

swordsy

John i got a pshyciatric release to rampton once i stopped sending the death threats to Tony............;o)

J

john ledger

Ronnie crap hat
Shimano do a cracking reel that will suit you Ron.It looks exactly same as the Daiwa2500 of mine and it only cost about ?50.Honest its a beauty Wickersley Angling has them in stock

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It's the same thing and the Idle with its "lots of 2 lb roach". I would love to see photos of these fish. Where they ever weighed on a decent set of scales?

Seriously, big roach are mind blowing to many anglers who spend their lives catching little roach. All of a sudden they land a fish of say 1 1/4 lbs or thereabouts. It truly looks monsterous and has just got to be a 2 pounder!!

Until the scales declares 1lb 5 oz!

However I often think that there should be a special set of scales that declares all roach at 1lb 15 oz as two pounders!!

:eek:)

I've lost count how many I have caught at this weight.

S

swordsy

My biggest roach were all caught at ecclesfield pond in the early eighties in pre-dawn sessions before they ripped the lillies out and the canadian pond weed

they were upto and just over the two pound mark and as ron States they are a different fish alltogether from the little silvers that are the bread and butter of most catches

Happy days!

J

john ledger

Suggest that at the end of this season that we who are going to fish the Idle meet up at the Pilgrim Fathers pub Scooby either Sat or Sun and do a survey of the swims in this section.Its best to see the river as soon as this season finishes as its weedy in summer.Hope we can do this and hope Mike Hewson is going to make one.Let me know your thoughts'