Disgusted

colsmiff

Reaction score
Did anybody else see the pictures in the Mirror yesterday, of not one but two owls caught up in fishing line. The numpties responsible should be banned from casting out ever again.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Sickening (if true).

There's something about the picture !!!!!!.

Do'es anyone from the Frome area know anything about it.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When are they going to publish a picture of anglers feeding the birds in a frozen landscape? Or report an angler for getting the RSPCA out to free birds from frozen water?

T

The Monk

these things have been set up by anti anglers in the past, I would be scepticle

T

The Monk

thats for the shortcut John, surprising how many anglers are birdwatches and nice to see the non-anglers dont get it their own way. More anglers need to join these sites of course, to put our views forward

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

There is no doubt that anti-anglers have set up may situations like this themselves.

W

Wolfman Woody

I read some of the comments. What is a 'black redatart', I though it was a black redstart. Nit picking perhaps, but two contributors spelt it that way. Also, what is a 'hangman's jam knot'? Frightening, I think.

Well accidents will happen and line will get tangled in trees no matter how careful you are. The thing to do is minimise the chances by choosing your swims carefully, look before casting, and attend work parties to clear any threatening branches.

Saying that, just last week I made a cast with a plug to just one side of a tree. The plug landed where I wanted, but the stray line blew over a branch. Try as I might that plug lifted into the twigs and only because I was on 30lb braid did the twigs give way and I got my plug back.

It can happen to the best of anglers.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is also such a bird as a white Blackbird.
The Black Redstart 'I think' has a black tail instead of a red one which it twitches just before flying off. Monk will know for sure.

M

Malcolm Bason

Not making accusations in this instance of course, but i think we should also beware of anti-angling infiltrators on this forum - and others!

A lot of new posters don't seem to stay around for very long! Might be paranoyer (sp?) on my part, but something to watch for mefinks!

S

swordsy

Always beware the fifth column!

divide and conquer!!

I am having trouble accessing that bird forum i joined as a member a few weeks ago i think the administrator has blocked me i have tried to re-join and requested my password confirming but all to no avail.......mysterious :O(

oh well,
this is a great lesson to learn we must keep our house in oder and not allow this type of thing to happen whenever possible. A lot of commercial type fisheries that have a canal type design which encourags the floating pole attack or fishing flush to the reeds look as though they have enough rigs in them to stock the average tackle shop for three months ownwers should be out on a boat at least once a week in that type of venue clearing any line or tackle to prevent this type of bad or manufactured press.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And always beware of anything reported in the Mirror.

Bunch of Labourites.

S

swordsy

remember the pictures it printed of our troops !urinating" on pows in Iraq?

They should have been shot for treason bast**d leftie load of p/c sh*t for brains metro-elite parasite tossbags.... The mirror and that general tabloid get a story out of anything and be dammned the consequences mentality is what is stopping this great nation from becoming what it should be.....we are HQ the rest of the world, America included is the shop floor

Long live the Empire and so ends todays lesson!

Andy Stafford

Reaction score
Whether or not the particular pictures in the Mirror were a "set up" or not, let's all recognise that from time to time, by virtue of it's very nature, there will very occasionally be instances when wildlife does suffer as a result of fishing. All responsible anglers, angling clubs and fishery managers recognise this and take steps to mitigate the chances of it happening. And before anyone accuses me of being a closet anti-angling infiltrator, I've also seen instances of bird watchers having a detrimental impact on the very birds that they are watching through overly intrusive methods.

If these picures are a "set up" it's very much in all our interests to expose that fact. The Mirror's record on accuracy and propriety of reporting is less than glorious as the recent Iraqi "scandal" photos demonstrated.

Where angling regularly falls down is in our failure to convey the great benefits that we bring to the environment, society as a whole and the rural economy. If fishing bodies spent more time conveying the overwhelming volume of good news around fishing then the occasional lapse (perhaps as in the case of these owls?) then we would be much more likely to get balanced reporting when things occasionally go wrong.

F

Fred Bonney

Not seen the picture,one owl, maybe,I can see by accident.But, how would a 15 inch tall owl,let alone wing span of say 20inches, get tangled in a hanging strand of line?
Two owls? someone's set this up.
I've seen owls flying, but never in close formation!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

and surely if one was caught up --the flapping of it would scare the other one away

jp

Reaction score
quote "Nit picking perhaps, but two contributors spelt it that way"

That's cos one was quoting the other, Jeff, and yes it is nit-picking.

B

BROTHER MEL

Did anyone see the picture of the duck with the screwdriver in its side it has been there for so long the duck should be dead yet its evades capture. like to meet the person responsible.

S

swordsy

I fish a spot on the trent that has a lot of owls and i have seen them swoop across the river in the middle of the night no more than 6 inch over the surface of the river and land on a branch as thick as a pencil not three foot above my head. one owl, maybe, two just doesnt sound right at all. I smell a stitch up.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just questioning the standards of English yet again John.

The black redstart is named so because it has an almost black chest, both the black redstart and the normal redstart have red tails. There is no white headed blackbird, in Europe at least, but I have often seen a mutant with such characteristics on our playing field.

Anti-angling stitch-up stories are common from the RSPCA. I wouldn't give them houseroom. Look at their leader - Jackie Ballard, say no more.