Fishing a lake

I

Ian White

In May i intend to fish a lake stocked with carp,bream,chubb and tench could you give me some advice as i have never fished this lake

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Quite a tall order to answer such a far-reaching question in just a few lines. Basically (god, I hate that word!) the best thing to do is stroll round the lake and chat to as many of the regulars as possible. Then, when you can break down your question to specific points, get in touch again, myself and others on the forum will be only too pleased to help. But give us details about size of species expected, depths, etc.

I

Ian White

Yes i did not ask the first question very well did i
To start with i have no idea about depth and size of fish,as i can not get to this venue until i arrive in may
What i should have asked is what sort of features to look for and what you rate as good baits and tactics to fish a lake i know nothing about

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ian, what you need to do is look for the features, any character in the water that makes it attractive to fish. For example, where shallow water drops off steeply to deeper water - at the bottom of this ledge would be a good place to fish. Then look for the weedbeds and try at the edge of those. Find the deeper holes, particularly if the water holds bream. The locals will give you a good idea of what size the different species go to. And make a point of visiting your local tackle shop which is usually a hive of information on local waters. As for baits, try the simple ones like maggot, caster, bread and worm at first. Maybe it's predominantly a carp water, if so, then boilies will probably rule. Try simple float and leger tactics to begin with. When you have more knowledge of the water, the species and the size of them, drop a line to the forum again and we'll have another go at helping you.