How to keep damp/wet groundbait?

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
I went fishing yesterday and have some damp groundbait left over. Is there a way I can make sure it doesn't go off until I go again next Wednesday?

BapAndFuro

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I bag and freeze leftover groundbait, but make sure there are no live maggots hiding in it because they will chew through the plastic bag .

messy..............

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I bag and freeze leftover groundbait, but make sure there are no live maggots hiding in it because they will chew through the plastic bag .

messy..............

They will WHAT!!??!!?? I have never known a maggot do that and I have saved pints of the damn things in plastic bags. I think once maggots are taken off the feed they never eat anything ever again let alone plastic :confused:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I put some leftover groundbait in a plastic carrier bag . There were no visible holes in it , put the bait in with some live maggots still in there . Went to get it out a week later and it was full of holes and the maggots had escaped into the freezer and were dead in the bottom. I don't think they ate the plastic , they just wanted out .................

Red Army

Reaction score
I can comfirm that, I had maggots piercing holes in plastic bags to escape....and that wasn't in a freezer, so tell me about messy :mad:. Now I also thought that once off the feed they wouldn't eat but I read on another thread here that they ate some lobworms they had been mixed with :eek::confused:. Can't remember the thread but apparently they had grown bigger and better after eating the lobs :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When I used to fish a lot of matches, Wednesdays and Sundays I'd often have leftover groundbait.

My way was to riddle it off once or twice when I got home (to remove any loose feed in the mix) and then put it into those ziplock plastic bags and zip up having taken the air out, and then straight into the freezer. I would also write on the bag what mix it was.

I would often use the 'leftovers' for practice sessions though rather than in the next match as I always wanted good, fresh match bait.