Ozzy Carp price list

S

swordsy

So the bloody things have been brought in against the advice of many and now several buyers are touting for custom.

I hope that I am wrong and this is not the beginning of the end for our native stocks, I am just so sickened that we have bowed the the power of the pound over the good sense to say NO to this irreversible risk to the future of English fish.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think I will ever be seeing any. Personally I think it might turn people against them even more. But I wonder how long it will be before some gushing hero has his photo in the angling press as being the first to catch one of these imports?
I hate what it is doing to our sport.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I thought these were just "English" carp (there's an oxymoron for you!)that had been on an Antipodean holiday for a few generations.We let Ron back in; what have you got aginst these fish? Are you worried that they'll indulge in dolphinarium-style acrobatics every time we lose a wicket in an "Ashes" Test?

S

swordsy

Ah-haaa-haaa! very nice Alan it isnt the fish as such that I have a problem with just the antipodean pathogens that will undoubtedly accompany them back.

I dont have a problem with signal crayfish either(especially sauteed in lemon butter) but the crayfish plague that they carry and are immune to willensure our crayfish go the same way as the Do-do

We had to let Ron back in to cover the gross national debt. ;o)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Unlikely. I hope I can reassure you here. The problem with non-native crays is that they were brought in from the habitat in which they evolved, carrying with them the parasites they had been evolving with for aeons. Our crays haven't been exposed to this before, so have no resistance and died off.
By contrast, the carp went to a place where they had no natural parasites, so spread so fast they became vermin. None of the Aussie native fish have a disease which affects carp, or the pioneer carp would have snuffed it.
So the "English" carp will be safe with their repatriated playmates.
Whether any tests have been run on diseases they might carry that affect invertebrates is another matter...

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Repatriated!!!

You must be joking.

Carp are introduced, genetically modified over hundreds of years, stinking miscreants.

Lets get back to true English species for goodness sake.

And don't bring up the arguement about rainbow trout. They only live about 4 years.

S

swordsy

Perhaps the carp are tolerant to the pathogens but how would our rudd or roach fare? a major player in the decline of the eel is a worm carried by japanese eels with almost no ill effects to them but shocking results to ours.

The ozzy carp are a vermin species and should be destroyed in situ, either burnt or proccessed into fish meal.

B

Big Rik

if you don't fish for carp nor care anything about them, then why are you complaining?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Because scores of natural waters throughout this country during the last 20 or so years have been stocked with them.

They take up space which should be there for proper natural indigenous species.

There is even carp in the Cheshire Meres these days.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

"When will they ever learn,
When will they ever learn?"

Joan Biaz.

B

Big Rik

natural waters?

do you mean lakes that are now available (after mineral extraction etc) that have had carp stocked into them or are we talking about lakes that have occurred naturally, e.g. Windemere?

Whatever.....

These are just being stocked with the fish that 'normal' people want to catch, not just half a dozen river based northern chub anglers.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The carp wouldn't be tolerant to new pathogens if there were any- they'd have died in Australia and never bred. The native Australian fish were the ones at risk in this game; they seem to have survived, so the carp that went there must have been clean (probably because they are an introduced species here, with no/few natural parasites). As I understand it, the returnees are being pretty thoroughly screened!
It does seem sad, though, that some carp hunters have become such size-obsessed pet-molesters that they will buy a monster, camp out on its pond till it picks up a bait (shouldn't take long, it's got no reason not to) and then expect to be hailed as having acheived something.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have no problems with equal amount stockings of all species, including carp.
But when clubs go carp crazy at the expense of the other fish, that is what is causeing the problems.
Normal people?? when you come up north with Gary, if you have the time, ask him to show you some of these 'normal' people and ask him what goes on.

S

swordsy

No,no, Rik you have misunderstood me, I do fish for carp on occasion(badly)and I enjoy them especially from a flooded river at three in the morning and that is why I do not want these fish anywere near our endemic stocks. the Koi herpes virus has yet to show its full potential and SCV(SVC?) needs no introduction and has been the cause of too many deaths already.

What we have in this country is a rich and varied array of species and I would hate to see them decimated by a stupid money fuelled action such as this, When the original carp were stocked into the murray river system I wonder if the Ozzies realised the damage that these fish would cause? No they probably just looked forward to the fun and games.

The Ozzy carp are too great a gamble and if you check out the price lists in AT are the most expensive, so why bother?

F

Frothey

the ea and cefas have cleared them, one of the lecturers at sparsholt reckons they're cleaner than ours! and lets face it, they are probably going to end up in carp fisheries anyway.

the only reason i'm really against them is that we dont really need them, and they are subjected to fairly stressfull travelling conditions. the funny thing is that they still seem to be pretty expensive! probably cheaper to grow your own...unless your after instant results...

B

Big Rik

How detrimental to the native roach was stocking barbel into the Severn?

How detrimental to the native rudd was sticking bream all over Ireland?

I'm not saying I agree with Australian imports, it's just I haven't heard an argument worth anything yet.

Clean Aussie fish or diseased English?

F

Frothey

clean legal aussie or questionable illegal french/dutch/german/romanian/israeli/etc/etc - delete as appropriate!

S

swordsy

Rik your first two points are valid arguments in their own rights never mind the roach.

When I fish at salmon pastures on the river Don in Sheffield ,why don`t I catch any salmon?

What happened to the Allis shad and the twaites shad? The Allis is most likely gone for good and the twaites is very diminished.

What happened to the severn when they started to release a lot of that welsh resevoir water into it?

The burbot also springs to mind where did it go and why?

Why are the whitefish the powan,schelly or gwyniad and the vendace or pollan of the lake district under threat?

why don`t I see anymore of those cute chocolaty brown watervoles...I liked them?

Because we always think we know best and can fathom the intricasies of nature but we cannot, mans involvment in anything on the scale of nature will always end in disaster because we are pretty thick as a race.