Which Bread

Rickrod

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done before but theres always new brands coming onto the market . Which brand of sliced bread do you use . Im looking for one that stays on the hook well .

jcp01

Reaction score
Warburton's blue for me. Have tried all the rest and it's the best.

Fishing for roach in the snow last winter I developed a way of mounting the bread that is easy to do with blue hands. I rip a bit from the centre, fold it over, squeeze hard and hook it once through the fold. This will stay on the hook reliably and will become a fat ball of roach mush in no time, but a ball of mush that provides a surprisingly durable hook hold because it makes use of the fibrous stringy nature of the wheat gluten, in fact I have the feeling that Warburtons do top up the gluten content of their bread to make it so very doughy and avoid that plague on the bread angler, dryness.

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Ask which bread and each angler will have his own favourite which he swears is the best, the truth is, providing it is fresh it is generally fine whatever the make.

Again a matter of personal choice of course but I tend to use an uncut loaf rather than sliced believing it stays fresh longer on the bank though I do cut it in half and wrap the unused half in a bag until needed.

keora

Reaction score
Warburton's crusty sliced loaf is good. I put it in the freezer and take slices out when I go fishing. Once I'm fishing, I put the slice I'm using in a small plastic bag, to keep it soft and fresh, the remaining slices are left in anothe bag in the rucksack.

For floating crust fishing I buy cheap small baguettes from Sainsburys, cut them in one inch slices and freeze them. Proper crusty bread crust generally stays on the hook better than crust from a sliced loaf.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Tesco's value white sliced does it for me, gives a great crumb every time as it seems a little drier than every other. It does need steaming or microwaving for the hook though.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Just got myself a loaf of warburtons ,going to have a bash at the mullet in the morning hope the weathers a bit nice then .

Rickrod

Reaction score
They wont be any bread left for the mullet if i do that