Three cheers for the EA

Andy Stafford

Reaction score
Pleased to see that they've had a success in protecting our fish, fisheries and wider environment. Let's hope that other commercial fish farms take note and make sure that they operate to acceptable standards.

Is ?5,000 enough though? I'd like to see much higher fines and use the money raised to fund more effective enforcement.

N

NottmDon

Im with you Andy, the fine should have been greater though and the fish farm closed until all the parasites were killed off! Theres no excuse for this sort of stupidity where fish stocks are concerned. The company are in the "business" they should not be breaking the rules and most certainly should not be supplying fish with parasites!

C

Clive Evans 1

Nevertheless, a good example to all who complain about the fishing license or what the EA does with it.

T

tom riordan

Well done the EA. Its a pity they didnt have the power to shut the firm down permanently, it would then make the other fisheries think twice about their actions. I hope someone at the EA has the forsight to get the offending companies order books for the last year or so and check the ponds and lakes that have been stocked by them, and if there is an unusually hight amount of diseased fish to be found maybe they could then be shut down. I know if I had bought any fish of the offenders and put them in with my fish, I would be very concerned about the welfare of my stocks.

W

Wolfman Woody

Whooo Hooooo! Well deserved!

And if Dennis Welling was involved - I must buy you a drink next time I see you!

(Who said that?)

N

NottmDon

Agree with your opinion Clive, well said.

I wonder if the EA are going to fine Calverton Fish Farm ? Oh, and check their books to see if any of the ill fish they produced were stocked into waterways? How on earth do they police themselves, I hadnt considered that till this thread got going by the way! Its off at a tangent I know just curious.

W

Wolfman Woody

On your last point Don, I believe the EA do health checks on the fish before every movement within their farm. That's before they are shipped outside. In fact I would bet that the outbreak of the disease was minor compared to some places, but knowing their pride they had no other choice than to declare a total quarantine and order a destruction of all their fish.

You're not far from Calverton, when it's back up and running why not see if you can organise a visit for your club. It is really fascinating.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Such is the greed of man.
Well done to the E.A. Now get out there and do some more checkng.

A

alan stubbs 2

If this is on the same site as the Monk Lakes complex, does it fill you with confidence about the fish there?

B

BROTHER MEL

Definately No!, Been there once just after it opened its new complex, it is not reported on in the Angling Press that I take so if it is that good why not?

N

NottmDon

Your probably right there Woody, I think they do a sterling job and have often wanted to pop down and have a look. I can see the pollytunnels as I drive by to go fishing at Covert Springs. Hope they get it all sorted must be gutted having to destroy all that stock.