Women anglers

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Why aren't there more women anglers? Presumably for the same reason that few men do cross-stitch or lace-making - it doesn't appeal to them!

There are practical issues, too, of course, security being one, and the lack of clean toilets another. But even were those problems addressed (and let's face it, in the case of many put-and-take trout fisheries, they are), I doubt that angling would see a significant number of women attracted to it.

Still, if it gives the Institute for the Study of the Flippin' Obvious something to occupy their time, why not? Make a change from studying why some biscuits break when dunked in tea etc. (and no, I'm not making it up!)

L

Les Clark

The lack of loo`s are a problem ,when I take my wife with me ,a 24hour session is o.k. ,but for a longer stint it can only be the one lake with a loo block.

Andy Stafford

Reaction score
Simple Jim. Men are made to hunt. Women are made to look after the family, do a bit of gathering and tell us how well we've done when we bring the prey home.

Very un PC I'm afraid.. but we do have bodies and minds evolved for the stone age. Some more than others!

Hope the wife doesn't read this!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have fished with one or two lady anglers in the past.

One of them - one Charlotte ....... - was extremely competent, especially at fly fishing.

She was known to many of us as "Charlotte the H......t".

Dear Charlotte was one of the boys and couldn't care a damn about modesty. The nearest bush or tree - it mattered not. She was particularly adept in a boat with a plastic Coke bottle....... :eek:)

T

TIm Parker

one of the best Pike fishemen i know is infact a women, my sister. Her watercraft and catchrate would put many a male to shame, and frankly I don't know why her husband puts up with it. That & having to stop the boat & find a bush every hour or so for a pee, must be a pain ;-)

L

Les Clark

Ron ,"she was particularly adept in a boat with a coke bottle " the mind boggles !

W

Wolfman Woody

Her second name wasn't "Bassett", by any chance Ron. Just thinking back to your confessions in another thread.

Old joke - that's why women have shorter feet. So they can get closer to the sink.

In all of 37 years I've known 'er indoors we have only ever been out fishing together twice. And she was a complete pain in the butt on both occasions. She has absolutely no interest in it whatsoever and if God is responsible for that, I thank Him.

People ask when I'm fishing "how can you enjoy it." My answer "Because I'm out of the house away from her." I think that's why our marriage has lasted, we don't get under each other's feet.

N

NottmDon

For the same reason I wont jump out of a perfectly good aeroplane wearing a parachute I imagine lol!

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
5 Reasons Women dont go Fishing..

1. Maggots
2. The bobble hat would ruin my hair
3. High heels and mud just dont go
4. Its difficult to tie nylon with long nails
5. Fish are slimy

and 5 reasons women might go fishing
1. Dirty Den was once seen down the canal
2. To find out what you do with all those boillies
3. There is a Selfridges near by
4. if Davina McCall did it
5. If they thought other women might be there -to keep an eye on the Husband

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Now strangely enough, one of the women I spent a lot of time fishing with, name was June Bassett.

She had the most perfectly formed pair of ............

Wellies you have ever seen in your life.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

By the way Jim, did you ever remember Mrs. Le sueur in Natal.

She had the hots for you she did. Kept asking about you whenever I revisited that big lake on the mountain top.

Garry Procter

Reaction score
Jim,

Your question got me thinking - which is rarely a good thing. It's also sort of timely, as the news over here in the USA is full of comment about some statements attributed to the president of the very institution in wot I work, regarding women, science and maths.

I wonder if the relative attractiveness of a sport/pastime might be somehow related to its age and original function (if it had one). Maybe those sports/pastimes that find their origins in activities that used to be necessary for survival are the ones more likely to be more appealing to one of the genders? Take the examples you use. Fishing, originally provided food and could be viewed as a method of hunting prey for consumption. An activity usually carried out by the male. On the other hand I guess that cross-stitching & lace-making developed out of the need to make clothing, an activity presumably (at least mainly) carried out by the female while she looked after offspring etc.

More modern, ?invented? sports tend to have far more women participants. I'm thinking of golf, tennis etc. And my daughter used to be in a girl's/women's cricket team and a girl's football team.

Just a thought - probably wrong - I usually am. But the best I could come up with in the freezing cold over here (minus 17 C when I set off to work this morning).

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In one of my clubs, the females get half price membership, plus they do not pay a joining fee.
so in that sense they are given all the encouragement to take up angling.
Sorry to say this but, in these days of equal oppertunities, it is not something I agree with.

T

The Monk

I mate of mine (Paul)has been a life long angler, but had a sex change about 5 years ago, hes? shes now called pauline, so I`m not sure if he/she counts?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But does he/she sit down or stand up?
And how would you yourself know?

Darkstar

Reaction score
My misses goes fishing with me quite a lot, and is quite a competant angler and can fish better than some of the other lads.
Why is it that most male anglers whinge when they are outfished by a female?, we were at Pendleview fishery on a peg next to a couple of dudes who were fishing, My misses caught 2 nice carp in double quick time, and these lads actually complained to the bailiff!!. Totally unbelievable:
Does anybody give creedence to the 'female hormones' theory?. Also some have made the point, men hunt- women stay at home and make babies, surely this is unnatural as in most animal species the female is the hunter/killer.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Quite right. Typically is the lioness.

Male lions are lazy things. Other than scrap amongst themselves over the lionesses, they eat and fornicate. That's about all.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

..but have you ever seen a lion fishing?Peter.

You cant have it all I suppose.