Cork Vs Duplon

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I’ve always been cork handle man myself, but after seeing the Drennan distance tench and bream rod with its flared full duplon handle I couldn’t help finding it a bit sexy. It got me thinking, what are the pros & cons, cork Vs duplon? Aesthetics aside of course.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Rods always had cork handles because there was no other suitable material now there is. Nowt wrong with Duplon except it is different and thats about the only reason for not having them and about the only reason that traditional anglers don't like them.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I gather that Graham, I’m just curious about the practicalities, Duplons longevity, durability and handling when wet etc as ive never used it.

It seems to me cork is becoming increasingly bad, for example full of filler unless you’re willing to pay silly money. A handle on a rod I recently had made by one of England’s most respected rod builders has turned in to Swiss cheese after two seasons use, I’m scared to clean it.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I still think that top quality cork is more durable. Not much in it when wet for grip; depends how much groundbait I've smeared on it!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
As S-Kippy said, it's all about aesthetics, if you have a rod made, or buy one off the peg, you want it to be to your personal preference. I've used both and I prefer the feel and look of a cork handle. I'm sure a Duplon handle wouldn't detract from the efficiency of the rod, so you pays your money and takes your choice.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As S-Kippy said, it's all about aesthetics, if you have a rod made, or buy one off the peg, you want it to be to your personal preference. I've used both and I prefer the feel and look of a cork handle. I'm sure a Duplon handle wouldn't detract from the efficiency of the rod, so you pays your money and takes your choice.

Precisely.Given the choice I will always opt for cork because it pleases me.But that wouldn't stop me buying one with duplon. I've just bought a Sonik spinning rod which has an abbreviated duplon handle. Never thought I'd ever do that but its a cracking rod and looks good too.

What does niggle me is poor quality cork on top end rods.That is not on.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Aesthetically unpleasing in my mind is the increasing number of mixed cork duplon handles, what’s the general thinking there? I don’t get it..

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Aesthetically unpleasing in my mind is the increasing number of mixed cork duplon handles, what’s the general thinking there? I don’t get it..

I actually quite like those...in fact I've just fitted a duplon hood to a cork handled rod .I guess it makes fitting a screw down reel fitting easier.I am happy to trade off a bit of "look" for the security of a proper reel fitting.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I actually quite like those...in fact I've just fitted a duplon hood to a cork handled rod .I guess it makes fitting a screw down reel fitting easier.I am happy to trade off a bit of "look" for the security of a proper reel fitting.

Aha, so it won’t just crumble as you tighten up... :D

Then there’s the rods with cork handles, and the last foot is duplon, what’s that for?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Then there’s the rods with cork handles, and the last foot is duplon, what’s that for?

That's to save money.

The fact is that much less cork is grown for wine bottle corks etc. so that skimming off the cream of the crop for the best rod handles is ever more difficult. Couple that with a vast demand for cheap rods and it's obvious that Duplon or similar is the only way that the demand can be met.

jcp01

Reaction score
I bought two near identical float rods by Sundridge from Cash Converters, cost about ten quid for the two. One had a full cork handle and the other, probably manufactured the next season when duplon became the must have fashion accessory, a full duplon handle.

Both had friction rings to secure the reel.

I used the pair for one season, often at the same time when fishing the canal, and I fell in love with the full cork handled rod and decidedly out of love with the duplon handled thing.

It just had no charm and no feel. Slimy even.

The full cork rod got nicked and I nearly cried like a baby, it was the best float rod I ever owned and irreplaceable, but now the full duplon effort is the rod I have to use for all my float fishing. The difference between loving and hating a rod is a matter entirely of how it feels in the hand.

One day I will buy a shed load of cork shives and happily spend a few hours hacking the plastic rubbish off all my rods and refitting them all with a proper material. I might even go into business transforming unloved rods into loved ones just by doing the same for others.

There can be no doubt that cork is king.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Years ago I had a rod...an Abu I think [I may still have it] that had a handle that was part cork and part fake cork duplon. I have to say it looked perfectly OK but all duplon handles nowadays seem to be black. I dont see why a decent "fake cork" couldn't be produced.

Good luck on your quest to banish the duplon Rufus....that is a Herculean task and not to be taken lightly.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
That's to save money.

The fact is that much less cork is grown for wine bottle corks etc. so that skimming off the cream of the crop for the best rod handles is ever more difficult.

Its odd though Mark, because you can buy US made St Croix rods, even in the budget class, and the handles are immaculate, the cork is first class.

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Can't see why duplon should be such a no no, it only affects the angler not the rod. Its a bit like those anglers that won't use what they consider inferior rods because it has say Shakespeare on it and not Daiwa, even though it is a good rod.

quickcedo

Reaction score
For me the only time I would insist on cork is on a float rod, ie holding all day. On my ledger rods I personally have no preference.
However I would sooner have a duplon handle than a poorly made cork one on either style of rod.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Looking through a very interesting site of a cork producer it does seem that cork production has recovered in recent years due to better management of the way the trees are looked after in Portugal.