Millets Sale

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Just had the following in the post

At normally a penny less that ?100.00 Millets are selling these boots for ?59.99

Karrimor KSB 200 Boot - Gore tex lined

Karrimor KSB 300 - with Gore tex

Berghaus Sportrek Boot.

Monk!!

I will have a look tomorrow.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Not much good to you Ron, you can't walk.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I couldn't walk because of the enormous pair of clod hoppers I have.

Cheeky Comments....... ;o{

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Don't worry Rodney, I'm called far worse names than that.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"I couldn't walk because of the enormous pair of clod hoppers I have."

And the weight of the hat.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,
I'd be careful if i were you - these reduced prices are normally for last year's stock, so in 2005 there will be new styles and colours - after all, you don't want to be seen on the banks in last years fashions, do you?

That would ruin your street cred' - just ask the Monk :-0

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I've decided to ditch the hat. I'm getting too recognisable these days.

I think I will send it to Graham.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Swap Graham for a modern top spec F.M. baseball cap Ron it'll go with the new boots.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Peter,

The last thing I am interested in my life is "Street Cred."

I'm not like The Monk at all you know.

I have read the reviews in Outdoor Magic on these boots, but these are from people who really do a lot of walking. I think for fishing and general knocking about on river banks the Berghaus boot looks ideal.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Concensus on them seems to be they aren't worth the money, whats the point of having waterproof boots if the aren't waterproof, is it me?

Ron, I have a pair of derriboots (the field-boot type) and they are super light, totally waterproof, and easy to walk in, ideal for us old 'uns. Just the job on them wet days for walking through wet grass.

W

Wolfman Woody

Don't be in such a rush Ron.

Milletts and Blacks - same company. HAve a look around both and they've always got offers on shoes and boots.

Summer, I have Meindl Cordura shoes. Winter, Karrimoor leather boots both have Goretex linings.

The reason some let water in is that people don't look after them. With cordura you always need to brush the dried out dirt of it and spray with a waterproofer. Leather, I wash the outers in the bath (oops!) and then coat with Leather conditioner. my feet stay dry!

R

Robert Woods 1

Ron,
Can I have your hat as it will do for a small brolly for me.

Bob Woods.

P

paul williams 2

Ron....i had a pair of KSB's years ago, they used to be OK but then i think they changed the factory or something and i don't think they are as good as they used to be, i think they are a bit on the narrow side to......Goretex is a wonderful modern material but can turn boots into sweatboxes in the wrong conditions........if i had to recommend a pair of quality walking boots i would say go for Meindl in leather and use nicwax on them.....last years, breathable and with regular treatment will stay waterproof.
Fishingmagics sister site Outdoormagic is the place to visit for this type of review.......you might even bump into the odd strangely attired Manc!

P

paul williams 2

Ain't got any Ed.....i hear regular penicillin causes exesses of it though!

T

The Monk

haha, yes the Berghaus Sportrek Boot, not bad for the price one but the Meindl are usually quoted as a top of the range walking boot, personally I like the Brasher Hillmasters, although others complain about them? I think the thing to remember though is the way you wish to use them, in your case for fishing, this is NOT really what the design ideology is about, fishing requires a boot to act differently, ie you will be stood/sat still for long periods and personally I prefer the good old Derri boot. Having said that for angling boots, gortex is a must, along with waterproof lightness and leather outers (fabric tends to look shabby after you`ve been out a few times and this is of course really bad for ones street cred!

I suppose the first company to bring out a boot with a picture of a carp or barbel on it will do a bomb

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And at double the price!!

I have purchased my boots after trying on everything in Millets.

They are a pair of Peter Storm Skiddaw boots which are guaranteed waterproof with a new type of high tech membrane from DuPont called Hytrel. It is claimed to be better and cheaper than Goretex. The boots are finished in brown leather and really look the part. They had Derry Boots in of course but for walking long distances they do not give the ankle support I need.

I like these boots very much as they were the most comfortable of all the brands I tried. I also got a pair of Bridgedale "Ascent" thermal socks to go with them.

No more shall I look like a Noddy when I make that trek across the fields to the Ribble. The boots were ?65.00 and the socks ?9.99 by the way.

I am sure The Monk will be proud of me.