Saving Money

F

Frothey

Ok, so eBay tricks.....

look in odd places for things, and look for mis-spellings. Just picked up a Century FJM (FMJ! - want it for a casting/bass rod!) for less than ?95inc postage because someone miss-spelt it!

If you're selling an item that may be of interest to a carp and pike angler, stick "carp" and "pike" on the end of the description - some mainly just put in "pike" when searching for pike goods

and dont forget to at least look at the prices in proper shops before you buy something....

B

Big Rik

also, if you're buying, look for things ending at silly times (3am etc, or at the weekend) as there are less bidders about to challenge you.

if you're selling make sure that your auction ends mid-morning, mid-week.
(loads of people about)

W

Wolfman Woody

You're having people on Rik. I found the opposite to be true.

Peak selling times are weekends / evenings. Worst selling times / best for buyers weekday mornings.

Here are some of Trevor Salmons current offers if you're interested. He's bound to have more later.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Isn't there a site that lists all the misspelt items ???
I'm sure someone mentioned it sometime ....

F

Frothey

dunno, workday mornings are ok....everyones got a pc at work.....

W

Wolfman Woody

The thing that p****s me off is when you do a search for say "Drennan" and the results pull up items like "13' Leeda Rod (not Drennan, Shimano, Daiwa)" The b*****rs put the "Not Daiwa" etc. in the title so that you'll get them in your searches. About time Ebay tramped on them

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Yes, thats the one I was talking about Rik

I think you mentioned it once before ......

B

Big Rik

yes Jeff, bloody annoying it is too.

I've yet to buy any fishing gear from e-bay because I haven't found anything worth the money.
Second hand prices on there seem to be more expensive than trade price.

Ed, not sure if I was talking about the website or just my own stature.

R

Ross Turner

Graham,You can put a reserve on stuff but it has to be ?50 or above.

jp

Reaction score
......or you can stipulate the starting price

W

Wolfman Woody

Stipulating the starting price is easiest and most clear to the buyers. WHen there's a reserve price buyers don't know what it is and keep bidding. They get to a certain level then pack in and others are put off too because the reservce still hasn't been met.

R

Ross Turner

Woody,You could always say what the reserve is in your listing.
I do & find that people who bid are either time wasters or Serious bidders.

W

Wolfman Woody

I agree Ross, but hardly anyone does.

One guy was selling soem margin poles and the biddign went up to ?70 on three separate listing for the item. It never sold because people thought they had bid enough and yet still couldn't see an end to it. I've seen other parts of eBay where there is no reserve, the bids remain low until the last 4 hours then go through the roof.

It's psychology, people have to think they're in with a chance of a bargain otherwise they don't bid, but once they're in there, they can't stop.

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Here's one for the traditionalist tackle tarts - Rod

Hurry, just a few hours left.

Milo

Reaction score
It's always worth asking the seller what his reserve is set at. Most will tell you, and then you can work out the total price including P&P. Sometimes, you can wait until the dying seconds to put a reserve-meeting bid on that will win it whilst still getting a bargain. You should always work out the total cost, and compare that price to your local tackle shop (or on-line retailer).

I've sold a number of second hand items above retailers brand-new prices. People are either being lazy, not doing their research or willing to pay more instead of going out, or they just want to out-do others!

J

J P

I wouldn't mind betting the top section won't be up to much either, in particular about 43cm from the end.

W

Wolfman Woody

I just hope he takes more care with the tea set he's selling.