Why do we do it?

fred hall

Reaction score
Apologies everyone because I cannot actually tell you where I fished yesterday. Let's just say it's a small private estate lake somewhere north of Watford which I started fishing this year. It contains billions of stunted rudd plus some decent ones, plenty of tench, crucians,some decent size bream and a fair head of carp to, I'm told, low double figures. Because of the rudd small soft baits are out so my plan of action was boilies and pellets on method feeder/pellet feeder.
Yipee, on my first visit a couple of months ago I had 2 small tench on my first 2 casts.Because you can only fish from platforms which are about 4 feet above the water I invested in a rod pod.
My favourite peg is right by a reed bed which is clearly home to a good proportion of the carp population. I fish 2 rods, one in open water and the other as close as I can get to the reeds. First try the carp won 3 nil.
This prompted me to speculate on ebay for a whopper stopper rod. Actually I got (hopefully) a dual purpose rod because I have felt for some time that my Shakespeare heavy feeder rods are not powerful enough for the Ribble barbel in certain swims and conditions. I settled on a Fox Floodwater Barbel rod, not cheap but very nice indeed to use. Second cast into the Ribble with it a 7lb barbel, very encouraging.
Meanwhile back at the estate lake yesterday afternoon first cast on the newbie rod a nice common about 4lb. Strangely the open water rod was seeing no action at all so eventually I decided to cast it in a different direction. I had just stood up to reorientate myself for this cast when my beautiful, expensive Fox rod flew off the pod and into the edge of the reed bed. At the price I'd paid for it there was no option. I would have to go in after it. I was in the process of jumping down from the platform when I stumbled and went a over t into about 18 inches of water. I suppose I should be grateful that the only damage done was breaking a leg of the rod pod on the way down. I managed to get to the rod and the carp was still attached, another common about twice the size of the first which I played and netted whilst still in the water.
After clambering out I decided to drain off a bit, have a coffee and my sandwiches before going back to the car and heading home for a much needed shower. Of course it would be silly not to fish on whilst doing this so with the rod pod propped up on a baitbox both rods were cast to their original positions. Not surprisingly nothing happened and I was just starting to gather my gear up when the open water rod whipped round and before I could react the carp (presumably)had charged into a sunken hawthorn bush on the opposite side of the swim to the reed bed. I could only pull for a break so last word to the fish!
May I answer my own question? We go fishing because it's a challenge. I would imagine about 10000 anglers on commercial fisheries today caught bigger carp than either of mine but I don't think any of them will have got greater satisfaction from their catches than I did from mine. I planned to catch them in a certain way and I did. The final bit of action however just shows we'll never get it completely right.

blankmeister

Reaction score
Why do we do it? Your day out says it all. When you arrive at the swim, you are full of anticipation and expectation and have no idea what's going to happen. You certainly had a memorable session, and that's what it's all about.
Nice story Fred:)

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Fred, after many years of trying I gained permission to fish an estate lake, (Barrie Rickards said many years ago that the Yorkshire record Tench would be caught here), only through a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend etc: First time I go, it's all gated up, and you have to squeeze through a small gap at the side of one of the gates. Squeezing through with rod bag on back, hand slipped off gate-post and I grabbed a branch of a tree, which snapped and I fell head-first through a Hawthorn bush into an empty dyke, laid there, face down, rod bag over my head, what a job to get out, unbelievable number of scratches down my face, stomach, and arms, all seeping blood, (I take Warfarin). Same as yourself, should have gone home but did'nt. Set up, superb location, as best as I could be, I was at peace with the world. And then it 'p#ssed down with rain', did'nt take a brolly or jacket as it had been brilliant sunshine. The consolation was it washed away the blood, which revealed how bad some of the scratches were, not a bite all evening, not a touch, BUT, a water lily filled lake to myself, picturesque surroundings, surrounded by wildlife, although I won't spoil it by telling you the wife's reaction when I walked through the door, I had had a really enjoyable few hours.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Why do we do it? I think first and foremost it’s a compulsion, British coarse angling scene, and pretty lily clad pools of carp aside, a whole lot of people the world over love or are compelled to fish. It’s that compulsion that’s at the core. Then there’s the different sub interests, tackle, clothing (uniforms), species of fish, angling clans, history etc which become almost separate hobbies.

I believe there are two fundamental types, ball sport players and anglers, you either one of the other, warrior or hunter gatherer. I’ve never met an angler who plays any kind of ball sports well, and vice versa, I’ve never met a ball sports player who can fish or fish well.

Personally speaking, I can’t turn it off even if I wanted to, where ever I am in the world, or whatever I’m doing I’m on the lookout for water to fish. Plus I really get off on the escapism element, the buzz, and close contact to nature when fishing in wild places etc.

Heres a favorite, why I fish quote;

“I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. It's a nice position. No one considers you to be dangerous, but very little is expected of you.”

- John Gierach