River Idle Roach

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Nice to see you're putting that new camera to good use Ron.

Even Bob Roberts doesn't look bad for his age.

L

Les Clark

Good write up Ron ,with a bit of history thrown in ,I must visit my brother in Nottingham ,(and take some tackle with me ).

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Mind you after looking at that photo of me with all the flaws of old age, I might go back to a 2 megapixel camera.

The roach look pretty though.

J

john ledger

Ron
Steve Pendlebury secretary of our club has taken two over 2lb 2lb 7oz and 2lb 1oz and Steve is very honest and both where witnessed My biggest catch was 45lb on hemp and caster peg 25 Bawtry and i also went down one evening weighed one fellow angler 47lbroach all on tares and as he was packing in fished the same swim and caught nearly 25lb so all in all 72lb came out of one swim on the Meadows Bawtry biggest !lb 12oz Also had chub to 4lb 14oz perch to 3lb 15oz dace to 1lb and bream to 6lb 8oz plus one mixed bag of over 100lb at Scrooby all witnessed but as you well know i used to keep things to my self in those days

D

Davy North

Nice one Ron,

This reminds me I really don't get the float out enough these days. It's such an enjoyable way to catch, I'll have to put that right before the end of the season.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ron, 2 megapixel to hide your wrinkles? You need a Kodak Brownie with a dollop of vaseline over the lens.

I know, same as me.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Ron, I recognise that picture of the three Roach. ;)

Nice write up. You're making me want to go fishing and I've got work to do. That should be the aim of all fishing writer's.

Regarding the picture of you with the big Roach - Is that the 1lb 10oz one you caught recently? Lovely fish.

J

jason fisher

some stonking roach there ron, well done. a good write up too.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ron,
I see the photographer had the same trouble I did when taking your picture. The Bl**dy hat hides half your face!
Nice roach though..

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
It was a stonking roach Ron. Im glad the photo came out well, its a shame half of your face is hidden because i thought i'd managed to hide it all ! only joking.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some lovely looking fish there mate. When ever I see roach of this quality it always throws me off track in what I want to do and go after them myself. The rive rlooks a nice size too, not too wide.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

We who live in Rothers and Donny Baz are very fortunate in having such a great river so close.

It may not have the monsters of the Hants Avon. But that does't matter to me.

A stretch like the one I regularly fish is only 2 quid a day.

It's worth every penny and is just the place to spend a nice mild murky day in winter.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

On the places shown in the article it vaies from about 16 to 11 yards wide I would say. The depth varies from about 5 feet to 9 feet.

It's quite deep under your rod tip.

As you get further up the Idle the river becomes much shallower with waving streamer weed in summer and in parts quite narrow, say as narrow as about 5 yards in places. Depths here vary fron 12 inches to 4 feet.

T

tom riordan

A very enjoyable and informative read, Ron, at 2 quid a chuck I might sneak up there one Sunday and have a dabble. I liked the tips on using the float, rather than plonking a feeder in amongst the Roach, as alas that would have been my first blunder. You have had a very fulfilling winters fishing with the fishins and your other forays so far,I hope the rest of the season continues in such good stead for you. See you in the Black Bull Ribchester soon.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
16-11 yds across. that sounds nice to me, my local cut is 14 mtrs, which is about what I visualised on your river, a good depth as well at 5-9 feet I would have thought.
Hopefully sometime this year, I wouldn't mind sneaking up there and see what Tom is geting up to.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Err Ron. It's more like 20 to 25 yards wide. Unless my pole is only 6m at full length as it only reaches halfway at 12.5m.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It doesn't look that wide to me Matt.

Mind you there is that bend where it widens out considerably. I'll measure it accurately next time. Distances can be decieving over water. How wide do you think the Trent is at Laneham for example.