baby barbel on the river don

Andreafish

Reaction score
I was fishing last week near to my home on the river don and to my surprise, caught two baby barbel about 6 inches long. Have the environment agency restocked the river don south yorkshire with little barbel, or are the barbel breeding there naturally.

It would be nice to know this.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
My guess is that they are breeding naturally as there is now a good spread of year classes. I suspect the EA are also making top up stockings from time to time.

mooks666

Reaction score
;)

Thats great news l live in sheffield as ye know the don was terrible years ago now it seems to be healthy again and breeding barbel is surely a good sign of regeneration..

dezza

Reaction score
The Don is one of the finest rivers in Yorkshire. The Upper Don has some of the best wild trout and grayling fishing in the country.

As regards the lower Don, It's not as good as the Trent as there is a shortage of gravel, but it's still not bad.

captain carrott

Reaction score
years ago i found a large perch, can't remember whether it was 3-10 or 3-15 dead in the margins between meadowhall and rotherham in the don.

it was in pretty good condition so can't have been dead that long either.

river_banksy

Reaction score
the don around sheffield has a few barbel, me and a mate have had 8 this summer so far and all differant fish but its same as all barbel fishing location.

Andreafish

Reaction score
the don around sheffield has a few barbel, me and a mate have had 8 this summer so far and all differant fish but its same as all barbel fishing location.

went down the kilnhurst section and my bf had two barbel a pound each and two chub. we were only there one hour. I have found out that the e/a have restocked with 500 barbel on the kilnhurst stretch.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
As far as i know the don between sprotborough and rotherham is regularly stocked with barbel, after consulting with; i dont really know the name, but something like this; The Don Trust/conservation group??? they have regular meetings with the EA, and regular stockings come from these meetings.

Jon