Rigs With An Edge

barbel liam

Reaction score
My rigs work well for me at the moment but I think its important to be able to try something new if there's that one day where things are not going well for you.

What edge do you use on these type of days.

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

I'm doing a little experiment at the moment. I'm trying cocktailed fake corn hair rigged with pellet just to try and grab the attention of a barbel, both with the high vizz colour of the corn & the slight movement due to the buoyancy, iv only tried it once but had no luck, still I will continue this method & see what comes of it. :)

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
The only real edge I can think of is for the barbel not to be aware that you're around. Keep quiet, keep swim disturbance to a minimum, use long hook lengths, keep your reel line pinned to the bottom above the lead or feeder. Don't use the same methods and bait as everybody else on the stretch - make subtle changes.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I think one of the best things apart from what Sean has said is, to be prepared to downsize. Some of my best fish have come on rock hard days to tiny baits and tiny hooks. Of course this is not always necessary but on occasion it works wonders. Casting a small hook with 2 or 3 grains of hemp attached into a river takes some courage but give it a go.

barbel liam

Reaction score
Iv never thought of minimising rigs really so that will be a definite try out, i have on occasion used 6 or 8mm pellet if barbel are not feeding but never thought to go even smaller with hemp so that's a useful tip. Ill have to give that a try to ;)

some times i think lengthening my hook links would give me that edge to, cheers for the advise guys.

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
Hooklength short or long is a massive bone of contention some believe in short (ish) whilst others think long works. Personally I have no problem using hooklengths up 4 or 5 feet If I think it's reqired. Indeed I would never use one shorter than 18" So I'm firmly in the longer camp.

Keith M

Reaction score
My rigs work well for me at the moment but I think its important to be able to try something new if there's that one day where things are not going well for you.

What edge do you use on these type of days.
If I am not getting bites then I try to impart some movement into my bait.
I use a weight that only just holds bottom which will trundle a few inches if I lift the rod tip slightly.
I often get a Barbel picking up my bait just after lifting the rod tip while the bait is still moving, wheras stationary baits are not being taken.

Last edited:

Fairweather

Reaction score
I find dribbling a little bait on an inside line and ignoring it for a long time works. It's something a lot of match anglers do.

I also think keeping the noise down and casting to a minium helps no end.

Stick_Float

Reaction score
I'm convinced that the sound of the lead hitting the water is a big spook for barbel, so I try to minimise that as much as possible. Ideally all that's needed is to gently lower the rig in a rod length or less out, which has always produced the quickest takes but in those far bank swims it can often take a while to get a take from a barbel.