I need a new printer

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I am looking for a printer that will print top quality photos and general stuff up to A4 size. It would be nice if I could take the memory card from the camera and print a picture straight away.

Or plug in the camera and print.

I have been told that Canon are the best in this field.

Top whack is ?200.00

Any suggestions?

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Hewlett Packard, Ron.

But if you have a Canon camera, maybe they
have a direct interface. I would give Epson house room now. I have one here and every time you want to use it you have to go through the cleaning process 10 times before it will print a decent picture. And that's using original parts!!!

HPs never let you down. Got an old one here, switch on, print, perfect. Just not photo quality now though, but if I was buying that's what I would go for. It was them that developed the inkjet process, after all.

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry - "I wouldN'T give Epson house room now."

alan

Reaction score
"I wouldn't give Epson house room now."
I got a cheap epson and have had no problems at all.

I had a cannon but at ?25 for a ink cartridge, it was to expensive to use.
what ever you chose check out the price of cartridges first.

N

NottmDon

Printers seem to draw out the same advice that angling questions do...........conflicting! LOL.
Yup I have an Epson and have always used them with no problems. In fact Ive had twelve so far this year lol!!! Last sentence in jest Ron. Really had no probs with my Epson and I can get decent cartridges without the Epson name at a third of the price. Printing inks for pcs are a rip off! You can get software for your camera Ron then you plug your camera into a USB port and transfer the piccies to a folder or photo editing suite, the advantage being you can resize and generally tart up the pictures prior to printing. Most modern printers will be A4( u can go bigger tho) and will be capable of printing out photo quality images no problemo. Good luck mate.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I use a HP Photosmart 7960 and cannot fault it in any way...some tech spec that maybe of interest to you Ron....

The unique feature of the 7960 is that it uses an 8 color ink system for photo printing. Most other consumer ink jet printers use 4 or 6 ink systems

4 ink systems - Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow
6 ink systems - Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Photo Cyan (light Cyan), Photo Magenta (light Magenta)
8 ink systems - Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Photo Cyan (light Cyan), Photo Magenta (light Magenta), Medium Gray, Light Gray
The extra two colors - Medium Gray and Light Gray - allow the HP 7960 to print true monochrome B&W images right out of the box. 6 color printers must make up all shades of gray from the colored inks, and so there is often a slight color bias. More importantly (and annoyingly) there may be different color bias to different shades of gray. By using only black, medium gray and light gray inks, any color bias is eliminated.

The extra two inks are also said to widen the printing color gamut, enabling the printing more more colors, especially darker shades.

HP provide the following data on their 6 and 8 color printing systems. PhotoREt is the name HP gives to its Photo Resolution Enhancement Technology.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Major problem with some printers is the cost of replacement cartridges and, good as HP and Lexmark are, the replacement cartidge prices are horrendous. With some its nearly as cheap to throw the printer away and buy a new one than replace the cartidges.

Cannon produce good printers and the cartidges are pretty cheap as are the Epson ones. The Epson R200 is a cracking good photo-printer and I've seen it on the web as cheap as ?67 incl. P&P. The cartidges (6 of them) you can pick up from here for ?14

B

BROTHER MEL

Ron ,I have a Cannon Smart Base Mp3600 all in one Printer/Scanner/Copier, which came with a program whereby I plug my Camera into the USB and a program runs that I can edit pictures the quality of pictures is good and the replacement cartridges work out abot ?7 for Black ?11 for all in one colour but it can be a bit expensive if you print a lot of colour about 50 pictures 6x4 as for black and white 100 pages + the price of the printer about ?75.00

C

Colin Brett 3

Also R800 is pretty damn good as well higher spec + better inks etc. 2 blacks and a gloss spray. Around ?180

Colin

chubber

Reaction score
I've got an HP 5800 that downloads straight from the camera. As for the cost of cartridges I don't bother buying new ones but use a refill kit. They can cost from 5 pounds up to ten but you'll get about three fillups from each one. The cost of new cartridges is a rip-off. Rymans the stationers do their own brand in all sizes which are a bit cheaper if you don't want to mess about with refills.