River Derwent at Buttercrambe

J

James Townsend

A bit of a longshot here, but does anyone know who owns the fishing rights to the river Derwent at Buttercrambe, Yorkshire?
Thanks for ant info.
JT.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
James, you've picked a good one here !!!!!!.

Rang a couple of tackle shop's in York, they reckon fishing is no longer available at Buttercrambe, this stretch is owned by the Darley Estate. However, have spoken on the phone to people on the estate, AND, it may be to your advantage to ring the owner,
Mr. Winn-Darley Tel: 01751 417695, he do'es know you'll be ringing, so it's up to you from here on in.

Don't forget to tell him you're from the Buckinghamshire Townends :eek:)

Kevin Clifford 2

Reaction score
The fishing at Buttercrambe is, as Merv states correctly, owned by the Darley estate. The fishing has been leased for many years to the Aldby AC who have about 40 members and a long waiting list (about 1-2 members drop out per year). Phil Jones is the secretary and if you ring George Winn-Darley I'm sure he'll pass on Phil's telephone number. If not I'll dig it out for you. The stretch they lease is from road bridge upstream to above Scrayingham and downstream on left bank about half to Stamford, and on right bank all the way to the cut at the caravan park at Stamford.

J

James Townsend

Thank you both very much for the info. I'm from York originaly and meet up with a long time fishing mate in Yorkshire a few times a year. We used to fish Buttercrambe as kids many, many years ago so thought we'd like to go back for an old times sake session. I'll put the calls in on Monday and who knows... maybe they'll let us. Thanks again.

J

James Townsend

Merv, does your posting mean he IS or ISN'T expecting a call from me?

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Sorry James, YES, he is expecting a call from you, when I rang, I explained you were coming from darn sarf, Mr. Winn-Darley was in the office, and gave me his number for you to ring, hope it works out.

J

James Townsend

Kevin, did you get my email? Wondered if you could find that phone number.
Thanks,
Jim.