mini hunters

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Another wonderful offering from Kevin. "Half leg rings" and "popped up double ants' eggs" - pure genius!

This man should write a book. I'd buy it for sure.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

To be really traditional and in order to use purely natural materials I would have thought that some of the long grasses of the African Savanna would make an excellent pole.

This could be coupled with a single strand of silk from an African orb weaver spider. Hooks could be obtained from the palps of the Sidney male Funnel Web Spider.

These hooks are minute and are about the size of a 68.

Bait? what about a single cyclops or daphnia?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bloodworm tails, who would have thought of it? Another brilliant read.

L

Les Clark

Jim ,You beat me to it ,"popped up double ant egg " , I hope they are NOT the next carp bait ,with my eyesight I have trouble hair rigging a 10 mil .
Again ,A cracker Kevin.

chubber

Reaction score
The man creases me up. That article reminded me of Matt Hayes and Mick Brown trying to catch stone loach and millers thumbs during the Great Rod Race. They proved that the best method was a small net and a jamjar.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've fished for loach and bullheads. 3ft top of bleak whip. size 30 hook to 0.06mm line. BB shot 2" from hook. bait is tail of joker.. To get loach you need to touch a barbule with the bait, then they take it. This is visual fishing. Bullheads use their eyes.

In matches, I've had a single minnow to clinch a winter league series as individual champion, and been part of a team of 4 that won a team match on the Warks Avon with 1-1-8, our best weight being 0-5-8, total no of fish for team - 160, inc sticklebacks. Also won a match with 2 drams, one tiny dace. Best minnow 10 1/2 drams.

You're not a winter league angler till you've fished for small fry!

W

Wolfman Woody

Takes me back to the 60s.

When the likes of Mr Marsden was landing his 10lb + bream and everyone else was set on specimen hunting, we set up the Northern Gudgeon Catchers. However, even they seemed so elusive at time we settled for a few odd sticklebacks and minnows. A ruffe (not one of Monk's slappers) was a real catch.

VMC brought out a size 50s and tied to a long human hair, thank Heavens hippies had plenty of it. For bait, filleted neck end of a squatt - side mounted! Rods were usually converted car arials which was handy because if you broke one you could always get another blank on the way home.

NB we did try cats fur for the hooklink as it was finer and because someone suggested that "pussy hair can be a great attracter".

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Filleted neck end of a squat!!

Size 50s

You were gaffing 'em man.

In my day on the canals we used size 100s, 1/50th oz bs and made one bloodworm last a whole day.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I shed a quiet tear now, for the secret is out at last.

We called it "Diddy Fishing" back then -- my pal, Chris Purser and me -- as we fished Little Boyer's Pit at West Drayton / Harmondsworth (the latter place our home"), as kids in the mid-1960s, for tench. But all that waiting after the obligatory textbook swim-raking and plastering with breadcrumb and stale-loaf mash...

So, it was dead reed stem (heavy gear) or a strand of sun-dried long summer-grass (the usual), the world's smallest porcupine quill floats (1.5. to 3 inches, I still have them), the tiniest hooks (18s, probably, back then), a fragment of a worm found beneath a lifted bankside tussock, then into the margins with the stuff.

Diddy perch and diddy roach (and, occasionally twice, a real monster - a half-pounder that usually monstered us - and once a half pound tench that I managed to land -- Chris wouldn't speak to me for ages afterwards, even though, at the time, his PB tench was 4 pounds (massive) to my three.

Ah, Joy in the Morning! (afternoons actually, in the heat of a July afternoon before the serious stuff stuff of the evening). And what fun! We quite forgot all the swanky gear we'd plagued our folks to buy for us to fish for tench.

Keep this quiet, fellas, or the trade will be onto it.

"We gave you carp, then pike, then barbel, and now... behold!

Back to where some of you (all of you, once upon a time) started."

Be afraid, very afraid.

K

Kevan Farmer

As daft as this sounds a bunch of mates have actually had these mini species as part of a great fish race. Stone Loach, bullheads and sticklebacks are the prey along with the more usual carp, barbel roach etc. Strangely enough the humble stone loach has been rather difficult to find.

Kevan - posting after a long abscence...too long or not long enough some might say ;-)

C

Clive Evans 1

Well done again, Kevin.

Woody, nice follow-up.

Kevan, good to see you back.

T

The Monk

what about the Ruffe Study Group?, Ive seriously been thinking of buying a new matching set of ruffe rods, a ruffe bedchair and a ruffe bivvy, ideal for some of the ruffe waters we have up here!

B

Barry Gausden

Mouse poop floats and you use it as a bubble float!All you guys are after the monsters,now daphnia fishing is the way for the dedicated mini angler[I would be good Im only 5ft4]

R

Rodney Wrestt

frozen mouse farts, they are the secret floats we used, feed the mouse with rice dyed a fluro orange colour and the 'fart floats' can be seen from anything up to a foot away, keep it to yourselves lads, don't want everyone getting on 'em.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Welcome back Kevan, I even spelt your name right this time mate :eek:)