Praise For Anglers

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Can it be true? Are we getting more honest? Or are the EA getting more vigilant?

R

Rob Brownfield

I cannot understand all this licence dodging. There is an easy solution to it all.

When you renew your syndicate/club fees or when you purchase a day tiket, you have to produce your license....simple!!

I know some people will say that its not fair to shift the responsibility of checking licenses onto fishery owners but I say tough! It IS there responsibility to ensure that anyone fishing on their property is abiding by the law!!!! I am sure a landowner would not allow someone to shoot on there land without a gun license!

Also, would a non license holder, who is effectivly fishing illegally, even if they have purchased a ticket, be covered by fishery insurance?

If license dodgers are turned away at every fishery, then they will have to buy one...surely that is a simple answer. This leaves free waters etc to be checked by EA staff....

What do u guys think?..I can see this getting heated...

R

Ron Clay

I don't mind the EA being extra vigilant. It's about time they did.

I've always gone out of my way to make friends with the EA. You never know when you might need them

R

ray bewick

A recent Trout fishing trip (a Sunday - fishery -water company supply reservoir - easy to get round, good 'nicking visibility' - about 1 mile around bank, therefor 20 mins walking time? - approx 15 Anglers) It took two EA guys almost 3 hours to walk the bank making their enquiries. They were equiped with mobile phones & appeared to be either reporting or purchasing licences for those Anglers approached.
When I and my Angling colleague were approached we offered our licenses; pinned in waterproof pockets too our waistcoats, these were initialed & we were thanked. An enquiry from ourselves on the lengthy time to walk the banks, ellicited a cryptic 'not everyone was so well prepared'.

regards

D

Dave Silvers

I also don't mind the EA being extra vigilant, on one of my local waters last year my licence was checked 3 weeks out of 4 and on two occasions I saw anglers turfed off the water by the EA.(Presumably with Court appearances to follow).
I have also thought about passing the responsibility over to the fishery owner, but am I being too cynical in thinking that they may not all turn money away. On at least one fishery I visit this is the guys sole income.
Back to my original point, it's OK the EA being vigilant but do the authorities use their full powers when punishing offenders, or are these people getting away with a slap across the wrist.
I'd bring back public flogging, preferably with a 12ft length of 2.5lb test curve carbon fibre.

D

Dave Johnson

THEY USUALLY FINE OFFENDERS ?60 and print their names in the press-if you were a gambling man what would you do?

Both clubs I am in insist on seeing your EA licience before you can join. Some trout waters also do this, but these are usually ST waters rather than the more commercial/private ones.it is a difficult one to call, I cannot see owners turning away customers without a licience, perhaps some would?

I think more emphasis should be put onto the courts and suitable punishments which should act as a deterrent.

P

Peter Morton

According to this weeks Angling Times 47000 less licences sold than this time last year,and last month 15% of anglers checked found not to have the right paperwork!
Thats one hell of a lot of money thats not getting into the EA's coffers.It would be a crying shame if they decided to cut back on things like the Calverton fish farm due to lack of funds.
From what i gather Calverton supplies fish for club and commercial fisheries alike,so surely it is in club and commercial fisheries to check that anglers using them have the nessessary licence? or am i taking to simple a view in this cynical day and age?

R

Rob Brownfield

I thought it would be raised that if fishery owners turned people away they would lose money. I cant really agree with this because if every fishery did this, the offender would have to buy a license eventually. If someone was found to have a valid day ticket, but no license, the owner should be warned. If done again, fined! He is making money off of the fishing. No doubt he uses the EA services, such as water quality, management facilities etc...so by not making sure all the anglers are in possesion of a license, he is short cutting the very facilities he has access to as a fishery owner!!

R

ray bewick

I used to believe in the german method; i.e train the wanabe angler in environmental issues, fish handling etc, BEFORE, they could obtain a license.This theroretically should train and engender the essence of the art rather then just allowing someone to go fishing; thus enlightened they will always buy a licence.

T

The Seeker of Truth & Justice

glad you said theoretical because it doesn't work with car licences in the uk though does it. Plenty of folk who have past their driving test still tear arse about and break the law.

R

ray bewick

Yep, but they are young, lacking in Information(realistic, time enhanced!), Training (as written!).Instruction (as before + family ? peers etc), & perhaps most important Supervision.
I wish I could claim saint-hood, I cannot but education via the usual methods; to those of us not privy to higher levels, would benefit those not enlightened into the ways of WALKER!.