Nothing like the unknown!

F

Frothey

Richard?s first fish .....has tag number 142897 and was stocked from the Barn pond on the 8/11/2003 weighing 23lb 8oz.

Richard?s second fish ...... has tag number 183888 and was stocked on the 7/8/2004 from the King George weighing 30lb 8oz.

nothing really against the type of fishery, naming fish is one thing but do you think that tagging takes it a bit far!???

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Tagging for obvious recognition and data collection is probably a good idea for this type of venue.

The feed back shoud give the owners accurate and valuable information on growth rates, so maybe it is not a bad thing at all.

On another thread there was a dissussion about previously uncaught fish so it interesting to notre that the '30' had not been caught before.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
At least one Essex club micro-chipped its newly introduced carp as a precaution against theft (they've suffered this in the past). Their policy is understandable - and arguably they had little choice - but am I alone in regarding it as a step too far?

The we have named fish and tagged fish. All getting a bit synthetic, don't you think?

W

Wolfman Woody

Tagging is useful for research purposes. I wanted a stamping machine that you stamp the barbel's belly with a number so that if we caught repeats we could see how well they were doing.

However, it does lead to name calling and familiarity which, of course breeds contempt. Or so they say. We have two fish on our beat that have names, "Topper" because she has the top of her tail missing and is immediately identifiable and "Manky" becuase she is so. I think Manky may have passed on now as we haven't seen her for the past 5 years.

I also caught one in the summer that appeared to be blind in one eye so I named it Nelson (although it doesn't wear an eye patch, fish can't, but then neither did he most of the time.)

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
I want to fish for unknown, unnamed, untagged, non-microchipped fish - but then I guess I'm just an anachronistic out-of-touch has-been....

alan

Reaction score
"unknown, unnamed, untagged, non-microchipped fish" sounds like you need to go sea fishing.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
"Sounds like you need to go sea fishing,"

Good advice - why didn't I think of that...?

M

Mike Heylin

Jim

Welcome to the Anachronistic Out-of-Touch Has-Beens Society or AOTHSBS for short.

Just another acronym.. to add to a lonnnnnnnng list.

Mike....

AOTHSBS supports the SAA

join today at www.saauk.org

N

NottmDon

Have to say that tagging is much preffered to the barbaric act of the cutting of dorsal fins and the like that used to go on not too many years back. From a research angle, data collection etc its fine, but you dont need to tag every fish do you? I lean towards Jim Gibbinsons feelings on this one, although I am not about to join him on the high seas fishing. I've seen the film Titanic u'know lol!