Coursework help

james grice 2

Reaction score
for my ICT coursework i have been asked to choose a club that the filing system for the members can be improved with the use of ICT. i have obviusly chosen angling, i was wondering if there was any one who might be able to give me some suggestions on the headings that will go into a database such as members name, age etc...
i would greatly appreaciate any help possible,
ps. i have been allowed to do ask for help, for my teacher is not allowed to help me with it. THANK YOU JAMES

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sorry James, but apart from knowing it means Information Communications Technology I'm not knowledgable enough to help on this subject.

Are there any school teachers on here who can help?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
It's just a matter of asking someone in a club what data they store on their members.

Name, Address, Age, whether they've paid extra for a Night Ticket, Years As A Member etc.

Is there anyone out there from a club?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
James,

This is a good exercise to put your thinking cap on.

What data does a fishing club need to keep?
What data might be useful to help manage its waters? And what about running the club?

In the first one; name, address, phone no., email, subs paid, consessions given ie senior citizen, junior. Age but only if relevant, if your age is 35 it doesn't matter, and you shouldn't keep data like this if you don't need it due to Data Protection, so only if under 18 or over 65. Date subs due.

In the second category. preferred style of fishing eg river, lake, type of fishing, eg carp, float for roach etc. How often fishing eg once a month, a week etc. What would you like to see the club develop? Would you pay more to fish? Are you a member of other clubs?

Might also develop match lists, water bookings, details of financial outgoings, rents, incomes, day tickets, landlords, useful contacts, minutes of meetings.

Then deloping the data so that a club secretary can analyse the data to find out how many members in each category, print name & address lists etc. Send reminders.

Hope this helps
Mark

Nick A

Reaction score
Permit Number / Membership Number
Contact Phone Numbers
Status (junior, senior,life membership)

if you want to make it interesting you could include....

Match results and statistics for match fisherman
personal bests for club competitions (biggest fish of the season type thing)

etc etc

M

matthew nightingale 2

Another thing that a Club needs to understand is which of the Club's waters its members use to go fishing. Its no good the Club obtaining loads of brilliant salmon river fishing when what its members really like or want is canal fishing!

D

David Bourne

I would also suggest reading Jeff(?) Woodhouse's articles "Running a club as a business"

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Jeff is definately the man to speak to about a club database.

D

Dougie Genini

Contact Mick Hanley, Hon.Sec at Hadley Anging & Preservation Society as he has set something up similar to what you're after.
haps.org.uk

W

Wolfman Woody

James, What an interesting project.

What software are you going to be using for the database? Does it have the ability for multiple field indexing and different logical views, ie: by member number, by surname, by postcode or district even? You don?t want to be buying fishing licences for 30 miles east when 90% of the members live 30 miles west, but you?ll soon find that out when people stop joining.

Here?s some thoughts based on previous experience. First the field you?re allowed to hold without registering with the Data Protection Act.

Member number 4 chars num Unique
First name 15 chars alpha (can include second name initial)
Surname 25 chars alpha
1st line address 35 chars alpha
2nd line address 35 chars alpha
district 25 chars alpha
Town/city 25 chars alpha
Postcode 8 chars alpha
Tel num 12 chars num

That?s about it unless you get them to sign a document (part of the application form) saying they don?t mind having their details being held on a computer for the clubs purposes ONLY.

Member class 1 char alpha (S = senior, L = lady, Y = youth <17, P = old one, D = disabled)
Age 2 chars num (only if above field is Y)
Initial year of joining 4 chars num (must be in the range 1900 ? 2050 say)
Privileges 1 char alpha (N = night permit, S = syndicate)
Hon member 1 char alpha indicate if the member is a honorary ?life? member
Committee 1 char alpha (C ? committee member)
Other clubs 1 char to indicate (s)he is in another club, info in separate x-ref file
Trophies held 1 char (Y = Yes information in separate x-ref file)

Some have suggested what type of angling, but I don?t think it matters on this database. You can build up a separate file on the waters and use questionnaires to find out how people fish.

Competition Clubs file
Club acronym 6 chars alpha unique
Club name 35 chars alpha
Contact name 25 chars alpha
Tel num 12 num
Address whatever you want to store here
Fees free format

Link file
Member number 4 num (not unique)
Club acronym 6 chars alpha

These three files help keep down duplication of your tupples and domains in the database. They will allow to view your own members and those (if they tell you) who are members of other clubs. Similar files for trophies and who holds them, although this may be a small file and unlikely to be held on computer.

W

Wolfman Woody

Forgot - you might want Mobile number in the main file also. Yuppies!

Link files, as you see are like table files. You access one key by search and this in turn gives you the other key. For example Look up member 1234 and it gives 4 records, one with BAA, LAC, RMC and MKAS. Those keys can then be used to reference the other clubs file - meaning Birmigham AA, Luton AC, RMC Angling and Milton Keynes AS.

But you can also use the table files in reverse by looking up a society code and finding out who of your members are members of it - ie. Accrington - Stanley, Dock - Albert, Thyme - Justin etc.