Baitrunner - or not?

big gus

Reaction score
For you pro's, experienced anglers and those who bore easily please stop reading now and go onto a thread that won't leave you in fits of laughter....

For anybody else who can explain: what is the reason for buying a baitrunner real (shimano gte b is the latest most-talked about one by all accounts)??

I realise the function is to flick the switch on the back of the reel to allow the fish to take line without pulling your rod into the lake - so what is the difference between that and just leaving the clutch loose enough so the fish can run.

Doesnt it do exactly the same job?

Ok, tin hat now in place. Any response/explanation much apprecaited.

B

Bully

Gus - if you leave the clutch open you have to tighten the clutch before you start playing the fish and its much harder to hit the fish and set the hook. A baitrunner stops the free spool running the second you turn the handle.

I know people who have done as you say and it can work, but frankly why not get a bait runner and use the facility when you need it? The 5000 models are dead versatile and not overly expensive.

And its a reasonable question - I asked the same thing 7 years ago when I started !

dave c 32

Reaction score
I have found in the past that if using a non baitrunner reel with a loose clutch that when a run occurs I have lost more fish than I have caught due to trying to tighten it back up. I know in theory it's seems a simple thing to do but in practice can be the difference between a fish or no fish.

big gus

Reaction score
Thanks Bully - can I ask though, if the baitrunner stops the second you turn the handle then how can you pay out more line when needed?

The clutch just gives out line when the fish wants to take it and you then reel in to land the bugger.

I'm missing something aren't I...

B

Bully

You still have a clutch as well that you can set for playing fish and its easy to change while playing.

B

Big Rik

why would you need to pay more line, other than with the clutch?

fish runs, takes line from baitrunner, you engage baitrunner and reel in fish, if fish decides to run again, it takles line from the clutch

I don't think you're missing anything.

big gus

Reaction score
Bully, Rik, thanks.

Presumably you need to use a baitrunner only for fish over half a dozen lbs in weight?

If this is the case, through your experience is there one that's better than another? i.e is shimano's gte b noticeably better then the 5000's or 8000's.

And what situation would, for example, one perform better than another.

Again, apologies for the questions but it helps when making decisions on buying tackle.

B

Bully

5000 and 8000 denotes the size of reel, so you get a 5000GTE and 8000GTE, plus other models etc.

Personally, unless you are doing a lot of distance / big pit fishing, the 5000 size is fine, and very versatile. I use mine for Barbel fishing and margin fishing for tench or carp as well.

J

jason fisher

5000 size are best used for small fish up to about 10 lb be that carp, bream, tench, barbel, i even use mine for roach feeder fishing.

6000 size are quite a lot bigger than the 5000, 8000 are about the same size as a 6000 but tend to have deeper spools which cary more line, best used for larger fish over 10 lb.

the 10000 and big bait runners, have very large spools and are best used for long range fishing for large fish over 10lb.

with a bait runner swithced on the spool will turn and give line with only a couple of ounces of pull, when you turn the handle the baitrunner switches off, and the reel reverts back to the clutch setting that you have set depending on the strength of the line that you are using usually around 60 to 80 % of the breaking strain of the line in use.

big gus

Reaction score
Thanks Jason, thats useful info.

Which would you recommend when fishing for smaller fish, under 10lbs, when there are some big 20's in the same water?

And doesnt this mean you are constantly changing your reel every time you set out for a day? Sometimes you are going for a day's pleasure fishing - tench, barbel carp etc under 10lbs - but other days you may go out knowing you may hook into something substantially bigger.

What advice would you give. Thanks.

J

jason fisher

what i use are 5010's with either feeder or avon rods for bream, tench, barbel,chub, carp on places like drayton or clattercote.

the 6010's/big baitrunners and carp/pike rods are reserved for when i'm actively targeting large carp or pike.

if you are going for a long session on a water that holds carp to 20's or above then i'd go for the bigger reels, if it is a large water where you will be required to cast 100 yards+ then the 10000's/ big baitrunners will berequired, if it's just a few acres with 60 to 70 yards maximum casts then go for the 6000 or 8000 size.

as for constantly changing reel, no i just pick up which ever combinations of rods and reels i feel i will require for the day, but i've been fishing nigh on 30 years so i've got a few now.
perhaps you could tell us what the places are like where you will be using them, size of lake, which river, what species you will be targeting species size, and what rods you will be using them with, we might be able to give you a better suggestion as to what a balanced outfit would be for this situation then.

big gus

Reaction score
Jason, that's a huge help to me, thanks.

My rods for carp fishing are fox rangemasters 2.75tc - but i've dispensed with some old reels and am looking for a new set.

I use an avon rod with an old shimano 3000 reel (3 or 4lb line) for smaller stillwaters and fish under 10lbs.

The places I go vary from week to week, hence trouble selecting reels for the rangemasters. Most waters the cast is no more than 50 or 60 yards - and a lot of the time less. But there is the odd trip that requires more.

I'm struggling to choose the reels for that reason.

ps out of interest, would you use the rods for any other fishing (ie smaller) or stick to using them for big carp. How adaptaable are they?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Two key advantages of a baitrunner are.

1/ It allows you to pull off line when you want to adjust your rig or to rebait etc. without the loseness and potential tangles from opening the bail arm.
This is especially useful at night.

2/ It allows you to select it for when you reach for a coffee, take a quick, close by pee etc. without having your rod pulled into the water as a fish takes the bait.

Graham

big gus

Reaction score
Graham - loosening the clutch does both these things in identical fashion.

Genuineley not being funny here, and I am converted after the invaluable advice given. However, you see my point?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Gus, the difference in screwing the clutch looser and then screwing it tighter when you get a run and doing the same thing with a baitrunner lever or the reel handle is the time it takes.

In those few extra seconds you need to tighten the drag by hand a fish could get away.

The baitrunner mechanism instantly returns the drag setting to the predetermined setting you chose in the first place.

big gus

Reaction score
Digested and understood.

Graham, you seem to be one of the main fonts of knowledge here, any chance you can address the points made in my last post (4 or 5 above this one) to Jason?

Any advice on this I would appreciate as I'm buying a set of three reels for my rangemasters this weekend. Or maybe a set of two and one other is that is more advisable?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Gus, I'm not sure which questions you mean. Please repeat them and I'll have a go - if it's soon as I won't be around shortly.

big gus

Reaction score
Graham - just above Graham Elliot's post on this thread. Scroll up a bit. About six posts up from this.

Just wanted to know about reels for fish under 10lb, plus ones to go with my fox rangemasters for carp up to 20-25.

Also, the test curve on them is 2.75 as they were bought for carp. Does this mean I cant really use them for much else - eg barbel,tench, chub under 10lbs?

Thanks

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Big Gus.
I would go for the Shimano 500gte (B) the new ones. If you are careful you can pick them up for 70-75ish.
Ideal for fish in the 10-20lb range and Not too heavy for a 2lb ish tc rod.

Graham M answered the other query well, although a competition on releasing the clutch on a Mitchell 300 and adjusting it back would be fun!

Seriously, don't underestimate the benefit of flicking the baitrunner over for those short attention seeking other things, especially after adjusting it earlier for the river flow if your rods are in the rest.

I would NOT however recommend fishing as a standard with baitrunner engaged when river fishing. Sit on your rods, hands close by.

Graham

J

jason fisher

to go with the 2.75 rangemasters you are probably best with the 10000, size for the simple reason you will be able to use them at short range and they will help if you need to get to longer ranges, as far as the rods go, carp or short to medium range piking is all they're any use for.