Chris Tabbron

The Monk

Reaction score
Hi guys

I`m trying to contact Chris Tabbron, former Secretary of the Manchester Specimen Group of the 60s and accomplished barbel angler, any help would be much appreciated, please email me with any contact details

The bad one

Reaction score
Hi guys

I`m trying to contact Chris Tabbron, former Secretary of the Manchester Specimen Group of the 60s and accomplished barbel angler, any help would be much appreciated, please email me with any contact details

John Winterbottom was his mate and did run Walkerwood trout fishery. It seem to be run by a different guy now. Try him and see whether he can give you a lead to John and on to Chris.
Got to be honest Nick, I've not heard Chris mentioned for many years on the grapevine
phone Pete Ross on 07780 960390 or e-mail on: walkerwood@talktalk.net

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:14 ----------

If the above is a dead lead send Steve Pope an e-mail. Chris wrote an article for Barbel Fisher 5. He might have some contact details ;)

The Monk

Reaction score
Thanks Ron and Phil, I hope Chris is still with us, I`ve emailed John at Walkerwood, both myself and Ron visited the place in the 90s, it was great to catch up with John, but his name doesnt appear on the website now, I`m still waiting for an email back from them. If you remember Phil we last saw Chris at the Middleton Angling bash in 95. Don`t know if anyone else can help but Kevin Cliffords been in touch trying to get some information for his new carp fishing book, Chris I expect would be a useful contact, I know the Manchester Specie group did a bit for the Cheshire carp in the 60s. Phil what about Steve Bracegirdle he goes back a way and might be able to help with Kevins research? and or Is Geoff Booth still knocking around mate?

The bad one

Reaction score
I'll ask the big Fellow when I next speak to him. But he likes a low profile :D
He might have a contact for GB if he's still around. Not heard much about GB for many years though.

The Monk

Reaction score
Last time I spoke to Geoff was at a BCSG meeting in Lymm, he was showing me his new Ashley pool rods, haha, must have been around 1976???????

Morespiders

Reaction score
Nick, spoke to J Winterbottom on the Goyt about 2-3 years ago, I seem to remember he said C Tabbron had stopped fishing and moved down south, if you get in touch with John Spisbury on BFW he may be able to help you they were mates for years

The Monk

Reaction score
thanks Fred and Ed, hope hes alright, a lovely bloke whos history goes back to the 60s of course, I use to bump into him periodically sometimes on the bank other times at meetings, a lovely lad, I last saw a clip in the press about Chris getting a 10lb barbel from the Dane, cant remember how long ago it was though maybe late 90s? I know he was from your school Ed, Graham Mardens and the late Roger Harker of course, you guys influenced us younger ones a lot, lol

Last edited:

The Monk

Reaction score
Just had word back from Pete at Walkerwood fisheries, Stalybridge, a great trout fishery by the way if anyone wants to give it a go John Winterbottom has retired now but I`m hoping to contact him shortly, hopefully he can give me some info on Chris

John Spilsbury

Reaction score
Hello, I was also one of the olde MSG members, just seen this thread by chance. I can tell you Chris was alive, healthy and kicking a couple of years ago, Met him with a barbel rod in his hand on a local river. PM to the MONK.

Nice to hear some of the old names. I had heard Roger Harker had passed away, have no details though. Passed a few good nights with him and Mr Bibby way back.

My taking a VERY long break from fishing, until a couple of years ago meant I had lost a lot of contacts, and the grapevine withered completely, so much has happened of which I know little. Was told another of my old mates: Alan Wilson has also passed away, rod in hand. Rumours are he became very well known: any details available? Did he break the tench record more than once? PM me?

Last edited:

The Monk

Reaction score
Hi John

Lovely to have you aboard mate, yes I remeber your name from the distant past, I still have some of the old MSG letterheads which either Chris or Eric gave me when he wrote to Eric Hodson about the NSHG Yorkshire barbel research in the 60s.

I`m not sure your PM has got to me you you can get me on nmllng at aol.com, sorry mate me at sign isnt working.

I only met Roger Harker once, when Eddie Bibby and a few of the lads came to join us on a fishing trip, sadly he died shortly after that, we was all shocked. I hope Eddie gets on this thread. Very sad about Alan too, again I only met him a few times on the bank and at NASA dos, what a lovely bloke, he told me to call him father christmas, lol

On Chris, we managed to track him down, hes now helping in some research for a carp book.

Last edited:

Morespiders

Reaction score
Ehh up Spillo, hows it going, we had a few chats last year on BFW, about old times on the Meres, shame about Alan, used to go down to Tring twice a year and spend a few hours on Wilstone with him, and his chipan, a site to see pealing his potatoes and a chipan on his cooker plus a full roast chik-chic, no wonder he died of a heart attack, great bloke, more like your Uncle Albert than Father Christmas though, glad to see you on here anyway, still barbelling? If you fancy a day out barbelling on the Ribble mail me, be nice to chat about the good old days

Last edited:

John Spilsbury

Reaction score
Ehh up Spillo, hows it going, we had a few chats last year on BFW, about old times on the Meres, shame about Alan, used to go down to Tring twice a year and spend a few hours on Wilstone with him, and his chipan, a site to see pealing his potatoes and a chipan on his cooker plus a full roast chik-chic, no wonder he died of a heart attack, great bloke, more like your Uncle Albert than Father Christmas though, glad to see you on here anyway, still barbelling? If you fancy a day out barbelling on the Ribble mail me, be nice to chat about the good old days

Hi, yes we did, still fishing for barbel, but I like to vary the species a lot too. I fished with Alan many, many times ( before he became known nationally) . It is probably the fault of myself, Chris Keelagher, and to a lesser extent John Watson, that Alan became so damned keen. I have still met no other angler with his patience and ability to stick at it. We may well have taught him how to catch big fish, but the cooking was all his own speciality. Full fry up breakfast was always the order of the day for Alan, in the back of his old grey Austin van. Absolutely top notch guy.

Never fished the Ribble, but a trip sounds good. I'll PM you my details.