Rush hour Otter sighting

slime monster

Reaction score
I could not believe my eyes this evening 5pm, crossing the River Dart bridge in Totnes the traffic slowed to a crawl so I had a quick look to see if the Mullet were topping, I caught sight of a large bow wave mid river heading up stream ,I was unsure what it was until it porpoised and went under...unmistakeably a large Otter.
How common is it to see them in open water in broad daylight at the busiest time of the day?

preston96

Reaction score
Scrumpy had one in his swim last weekend.......it must of been attracted by all those snigs that follow him about. :wh

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Brummie, I've e-mailed you the pic.

Broad daylight, 8am ish? The ducks and swans went mental!!!

I've seen em on the Bristol Avon, Dorset Stour, Warwickshire Avon and King Sedgmore Drain. They are everywhere now!

We call snigs 'Grinners' down ear mate ;)

preston96

Reaction score
Arn't they just...I saw two in the chippy eariler...both had cider in their bags n'all...there teckin over man :)

eariler?

They must have shared the cider with you! :)

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

To assist in the compilation of and accurate and centralised picture of otter populations on fisheries in the UK, please email your experiences and photos to info@predationactiongroup.co.uk
Many thanks

Steve, i'll leave that to you mate? your pic.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"Steve, i'll leave that to you mate? your pic."

No worries Paul, I've been very busy fishing lately. I'm on earlies this week so I'll send the pic and I'll let Ruth know where I've seen the rest. Unfortunately I don't have any other pics, cagey little bu**ers them otters!

Nice one Tigger ;) good job I don't drink cider anymore.

I also saw a 3-4lb bream in the margins not far below the Halcyon river the other day, it had it's throat ripped out. Just the good bits had been eaten.......that's what they do aint it???

slime monster

Reaction score
I also saw a 3-4lb bream in the margins not far below the Halcyon river the other day, it had it's throat ripped out
Me and my mate watched a Heron that frequents one of our club waters ,it is not uncommon for it to be there while you are fishing, it took a Bream of the top which was dying for reasons unknown . once it realised it was too big to get down its throat it took the head off and ate that leaving the rest.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
The bream I saw still had it's head on, the throat and part of the stomach were gone.

Cakey

Reaction score
Ive been feeding this baby with prawns ,if anyone kills it I kill them :wh

_DIW7167.jpg

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Asian Short Clawed?

Don't look like the ravenous beasts that are lurking in my river!

:wh

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
lol mate :D

Sent the pic and told Ruth were me and my mates have sighted otters on the 'rivers'.

Ruth Lockwood

Reaction score
Lol!

I don't actually receive the emails sent to the Predation Action Group, they are collated by the PAG secretary Elaine Watkins, whose services have kindly been provided at no cost by Danny Fairbrass. Elaine receives and sorts the various communications and delivers it into the group at each meeting. The next one is scheduled for November.

In the meantime, key members of the group are progressing active dialogue with decision makers, others are attempting to demonstrate the social and economic impacts in 3 majorly affected areas (Norfolk, Upper Thames & Cornwall), others are busy organising events and talking to potential sponsors to establish a fighting fund. The group is also looking to investigate alternative measures to fencing, such as acoustic deterrents and at the same time, our scientific members are gathering much needed data to support our position, so not to be reliant on that already provided by other less pro-angling sectors.

There are no easy solutions of course, but things appear moving forward in a positive, unified and structured manner within this group, of which I play a very small part.

I will certainly check with Elaine to see if your email has been received Steve and let you know.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming everybody, we are going to need every scrap of evidence possible to stand up for angling and fisheries in the future.

Kindest regards

Ruth

graham booth

Reaction score
I guess this must already have been posted on FM - it's such a big forum I can't tell.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/12650486]Harry Otter has eaten his barbel on Vimeo[/ame]