Magic Session

W

Welsh Goff

What a session excellent read Lee, cant wait for part two.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is one of the most thoughtfull articles I have seen for some time.
Even I could not take offence at the style of fishing, it came over that well. Not only that but very informative too.
Keep it up Lee, you will be as good as me one day. ;-)
Can't wait for the next installment.

Clikfire

Reaction score
You lucky lucky bars#*rd !!!

what a great fishing episode, deffinitely a red letter day.

Did you keep the boilie mix secret on purpose (quantities) or will this be more detailed in a later article?

S

swordsy

yes it will, the exact recipe is on one of my threads but i cannot remember which one, oh hang, on try homemade baits!

if not pm me and i will send you a copy

Lee

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Excelent read Swordsy. Look forward to the second instalment. Must get down to the Trent next season myself.

A

Adrian Kiddell 2

Now going to print article, leaving in morning for trip to Trent myself with the other Team Barbel boys. will read and digest and comment on my return.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I reckon Swordsy could sell ice to the Eskimoes, and sand to the Arabs.

chubber

Reaction score
Great article Lee. It's given me some ideas about tackling the Wensum barbel.
I look forward to reading part 2.

T

tom riordan

?I love the smell of Swim-Stim in a morning!?. You can almost feel the Barbell quivering with fear as the next wave of early morning heavy groundbaiting hit them hard. Well done swordsy I cant wait for the next episode to be published, I have digested every bit of your article as I also fish the trent and any insight on how to fish this mighty river is greatly appreciated. BTW who is the packmule in the photograph there must be a 1/4 of a tonne of kit on the barrow!!!! I can see where you got carbelling from, you look like a real boilie basher walking down that lane.

ByNasty

Reaction score
Swordsy, top article mate to go along with your one in this months CAT. Just one question though, in CAT there is a picture of you with 2 chub, one on the ground and one being held what I would like to know is exactly how much you'd had to drink cos you look absolutely trolleyed!

S

swordsy

That is the worst picture ever innit! ten hour shift and then onto the trent for midnight and picture taken at dawn!!

I look effin shocking :O)

L

Les Clark

My heart bleeds for you Swordsy ,well done mate ,and great article .

J

john conway

Nice article swordsy, you'll have to come over and fish the Ribble somtime, some of the lads over this side of the Pennines fish a similar system for the Barbel. Like the name of your article as well!!

A

Adrian Kiddell 2

First of All good article mate plenty to think about and some fresh ideas. Team Barbel trip to the Trent was not too bad we all had Barbel Tommy done best with a 9.07. I had my first ever Trent Carp a wild Little feller at 7.01. Ginger well he is good on the Bream and sleeping.

Couple of things I would like to ask about your style does it work in daylight so well and how about winter do you reduce the size of bait accordingly. Reminds me a bit of the method Des Taylor and Lol Breakspear used so well on the Lower Severn 2 baits out of a Tin of meat it sorted the bigger fish out nothing smaller than an 8 dare go near it.

How about those Bream how on Earth do you stop catching them been plauged again by them this weekend. Good fish as well up to 7lb but a pain when you want baits out un disturbed for the Barbel. Anybody any ideas

S

swordsy

daylight is ok if there is any hint of colour otherwise it is a bit of a nocturnal method but saying that i have had a few doubles in daylight this year and i finished with 80+ barbel for the season (under ten trips)

I dont reduce the size of the bait and i think at times that has cost me a few fish it did work last winter with an 11 2x12 and a 13lb7oz p/b but i hit two cracking days of perfect weather.

Always room to improve :O)

S

swordsy

I like bream...........don't tell anyone they will only take the piss.

Had a session first day two seasons ago, filled the swim in and got the biggest shoal of bream i have ever seen in my life move onto the bait.....they loved the pellet mix but the combination of the heavy gear and a seemingly unattractive hookbait on too large a hook meant I only had two of them out 71/2and 8lb, I would have loved to have plundered them big time.

I

Ian Firkins

Nice article, Lee. I was interested in the size of baits you use, 20-40mm. I fished the Trent just upstream last summer. My baits were either 14mm pellets or two 10mm boilies. They didn't seem to have much trouble locating them in the dark, although I was also using cage feeders with a pellet-based groundbait. I only use a few freebies in the mix, the idea being that my baits are the only substantial food items they encounter after homing in on the "signal" from the feeder. One thing I will be trying though at the back end of this season is the boilie/paste wrap combination. On the subject of "carbelling", I admit that the Trent lends itself to such an approach. However, whilst I fish two rods, I prefer the anonimity and security (!) of isotopes and baitrunners for my bite indication. I also note in your CAT article that you fished the session in question with three rods. I had two barbel on at once in a session last summer, and have similarly "doubled up" with carp and pike in the past. I managed to cope on each of those occasions. However, I would have thought that fishing three rods for barbel, particularly when the fish were "on", was asking for trouble?

S

swordsy

I agree with you in part but the session in CAT was done in low clear conditions and to be truthfull I did not expect to catch very well at all until later in the day, hence the three rods not two. The size of baits I use are related to the old trick of using half and quater tins of luncheon meat, bit bait needs a big mouth therefore a big fish to take it, I also use sourse boillies in the 15mm range doubled up and chopped back, wish I could use isotopes but they give me headache :O(

I

Ian Firkins

Tried two isotopes per rod for a while, but watching four of the things sent me bonkers, so just use one an inch behind the tip. You only need one to spot a two foot pull anyway! Been using the Dynamite Baits stuff as well. Really rate it. The pellets catch virtually anything that swims. Have got some of their Monster Crab boilies to try next summer - can't wait. Might see you on the bank!