supermarket baits

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
was clearing out the larder at home for the missus,when i came across some marmite,bovril and peanut butter<the smooth variety>.i started to wonder if these could be used as dips or pastes???would carp be ok with peanut butter smothered on boilies???i suppose the list of possibilities is endless....
your thoughts please....

F

Frothey

marmite and bovril are "known" dips and are used in some commercial boilies.....peanut butter would work, prefer the crunchy myself! you can make your own peanut butter with a food blender and a bit of salt...

N

NottmDon

Marmite and Bovril dips have been one of the "secret" flavours used by everybody for years lol! I imagine smooth peanut butter would be an excellent coating to put on a boilie myself. Milk shakes powders were added to bream groundbaits years back Nick. I doubt theres much in the cuphoard at home that fish wouldnt eat. Barbel have a penchant for garlic and chillies!! As you say the list and the possibilities are endless. For example with some semolina and ground rice and a little soya flour youre more than half way to a boilie base mix which wont make your wallet too light either! Think of baits that are now considered "mainstream"......luncheon meat, cheese, corn, bread etc all out of the cuphoards at home.

W

Wolfman Woody

Mmmmmmm, Peanut Butter. ArghhhhhhhhhhhhH! (Homer Simpson impression finished)

Agree with above 100%. Just don't forget, nam pla (Thai fish sauce), Soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and even sweet chilli sauce. Mind you, I might fight the fish myself for that last one.

Soya flour. Can I get hold of any? All the supermarkets around here just don't stock it. In Tesco I asked a helper, but all she asked was what I wanted it for. I didn't like to get involved in all the fishing/boilie stuff so I told her "Just soya dumplings."

She smacked me across the face and said "You shouldn't be looking down my dress."

chubber

Reaction score
Should have seen that punchline coming. Has anyone had the courage to try WD40. I've sprayed it on lures when in Florida but haven't tried it here yet. It certainly seems to work on sea fish.

W

Wolfman Woody

Right Deecy, do you think Holland and Barratt will have it? I never thought to look there.

Daft thing is they're a customer of mine and just about to make another purchase.

I did try WD40 on spinners on freshwater afetr reading about it, but didn't notice any "irresistable" takes. So I stopped. Does Europe allow its use? :eek:)

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
WD40 is good for arthritis or old injuries that swell and ache. I have a foot injury of old. One night it was really playing up and I had no painkillers, I gave it a quick spray and it worked for about two weeks.

I believe WD40 means water displacement, and the 40 is the fortieth time it took to get to the product as it is now.

L

Les Clark

Chubber ,I have used wd40 on deadbaits for pikeing in the past and caught ,but cannot say it improved my catch rate at all ,stopped useing it after a thread on the pike page stated it could be harmfull to pike .

N

NottmDon

Holland and B do the soya flour woody. semolina flour most supermarkets have, it was the ground rice I had most probs getting hold of but did find a supermarket "Budgens" that stocked it. Having just become a grandfather I now find that baby rice in packets is a ground rice and of course it comes in various flavours too. I havent been tempted to borrow some of my grandsons dinner.............yet! lol

S

swordsy

baby milk
belcan
sausage meat
anchovy essence
catfood
dog food

the list is endless and i have used them all with some success, all you can do is try them :O)

W

Wolfman Woody

"WD40 is good for arthritis or old injuries that swell and ache. I have a foot injury of old. One night it was really playing up and I had no painkillers, I gave it a quick spray and it worked for about two weeks."

I always thought Baz was a robot.

Will try them Don. Rice flour and ground rice no problem - get it from Asda in big bags. Ground rice I use to clean my artists pastels when they get grubby. Drop em in the rice, shake them about and all the dirt just flies off.

Also found some Natco milk powder for Indian sweets. It doesn't go back to milk like dried milk but it's great to produce a fine cloud in the water.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"One night it was really playing up and I had no painkillers, I gave it a quick spray and it worked for about two weeks."

Jeff mate, that was rust that you had, not aches and pains.

W

Wolfman Woody

Not me. I was quoting Baz, Graham.

Stay with the game old boy. Get nursey to fetch another glass of Sanatogen for you. :eek:)

Ambio

Reaction score
I took my 9 yr old daughter fishing a couple of weeks ago and she insisted on trying a cocktail sausage for bait. 10 minutes after casting in she pulled out a 15lb common. I was gutted it was the last sausage and I ended the day blanking. Is it OK to use these as bait as we're going back to the same lake at the weekend and I was thinking of trying them myself?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Perfectly fine Ambio. Not advisable to use to much as freebies though.

Bought a bottle of Nam Pam fish sauce and dropped the bottle out the bag while carring it through the house. I know have the sweetest smelling carpet.

Ambio

Reaction score
Thanks Bryan. She didn't throw any as freebies as we only had the one left but I'll bear it mind. I was just a bit concerned that they could be harmful to the fish.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
A few small pieces would be ok. Its just this time of year it would take a long time for the fats to break down. Good luck this weekend.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i purchased a bottle of the nam plas fish sauce the other week and used it as a dip for my maggotts.....cant say i really noticed any difference in the catch rate...how do you folks use it???