The Great White

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Most people who get attacked by sharks, or even eaten by them, have only themselves to blame. These people are venturing into territory where they don't belong.

I have had a little experience with the great white. I hooked one - a small one - off the Natal coast ca 1971.

When I saw what it was I cut the trace. I wasn't going to tangle with those triangular teeth.

Strangely enough, shark attacks from the Great White off the SA coast are very rare. And SA probably has more of this species than many other parts of the world.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It isn't a very nice thought, but in the wake of the recent Tsunami, I wonder how many people will have been washed out to sea and given sharks a taste for human flesh?

W

Wolfman Woody

Absolutely right about sea bass, it is a silly name in this country. But then again, we have so many American visitors passing through who would get confused if it didn't say sea bass. We wouldn't want them getting all confused before they moved on "To Paris, France.", would we?

Anyone remember that picture in Angling Times either 60s or early 70s. It was a boat that had caught a tiger shark of around 16 feet and the left it hanging from the rigging swinging over the sea. In the morning when they looked, it's belly was missing where another shark had lauched itself out of the sea and taken a bite out of it.

B

Barry Gausden

Quite right about being towed behind the boat looking at dolphins,a recent program about the great whites had a boat towing a wet suit full of stuffing being towed and a great white attacked it.There have been a number of attacks in the south australia region lately.Only some states require you to kill the carp.When fishing there I try to drown them by putting them in a large body of water[where they came from]

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I recently watched a programme about sharks on the box and it said the the Tiger shark was by far the most dangerous of all the sharks where man is concerned.

When I was in the RN I witnessed our Chinese laundry wallahs (I was on a cruiser) who caught a shark using a ruddy great meat hook, this was off Hong Kong. Parts of shark are, or were then (the late 50's) worth a lot of money and though they cut that shark to bits, it took ages to die. What with all the threshing and noises the thing made, with blood everywhere, I had nightmares about them for years.

After that episode the skipper put the block on shark fishing for the rest of the commission but I have remained in dread of the things ever since.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Only some states require you to kill the carp.When fishing there I try to drown them..." Quite right!

Like me and moles, they drive me up the wall. I swear that I ever catch one I'll bury it alive.

gary sheridan

Reaction score
i am right in saying you try or want to kill carp woody thats is down right well out of order mate only kill what you want to eat. i though we were on about sharks not carp. wree did they spring into it or have i got it mixed up.

chubber

Reaction score
Anybody ever hear the joke Billy Conelly told during one of his Australian tours.
"I was buying a newspaper this morning and the shopkeeper asked "Did ya hear about the fella gettin' killed by the shark yesterday afternoon?"
"No!" I said, "where did this happen, in the supermarket?"
"Course not, it was in the sea." he replied.
"Well in that case mate tough s**t" I said "thats how the cookie crumbles."
I'm afraid most people that get attacked by sharks have only themselves to blame. Every time I go to the Florida Keys I see idiots swimming in the deeeper water off the edge of the flats even though it's thick with all types of sharks. Last April we spotted some huge hammerheads cruising along the edge of the drop-off and one, that we estimated to be about 12ft long, even took a 130lb tarpon that my mate was playing in about 8ft of water.
Man is meant to be on land and sharks are meant to be in the water. You go into their world at your own risk. Don't blame the shark if he bites.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Quite right chubber.

In shark infested waters - don't go surfing or swimming - period!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Off the Natal bathing beaches in Durban and other coastal resorts are shark nets. These nets are cleared every day. Sharks, and other species too get caught up in these nets, as do dolphins.

These nets are the ultimate in cruelty as far as I can see. They catch the fish in the gills and the poor things die a long slow death.

All in the name of the arrogance of man who wants to venture where he doesn't belong.

Then there are the anglers who want to catch a great white.

In my opinion such anglers are as bad as hunters who want to shoot a giraffe.

Sharks are not angling fish.

Hook a shark on rod and line and the chances are the fish will die, even if you let it go. If you want to kill a shark quickly, I'm afraid a priest heavy enough has never been made. Best way is with a .44 magnum revolver.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Sharks are not angling fish."

So what about smoothhounds, bull huss, lesser spotted dogfish, spurdogs, monkfish, thornback skate, stingrays, blonde rays, tope, to name just a few before you get onto blues, makos and threshers?

Nick A

Reaction score
where is Durban? in ireland?...

And whats this about you liking heavy priests RON? is there something you want to tell us?.

;-)

gary sheridan

Reaction score
dont stand in the shallow water the spines of the weaver fish are very dangerous, thats everybody out of the sea then. oh box jelly fish sting and kill people thats the remainder of the world we must stay out of.is there nowhere we cant go without somebody saying stay away.if sharks were to eat your kin or mame them in anyway then i am sure you would change your mind.but saying that of course if you see a great white in the water then more the fool you are, for then and then only, going in the water. thats like stnding in front of the train whilst you can see it coming. more attacks from hammer heads than great whites and nurse sharks.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

You know what I mean Jeff.

I'm not talking about tiddlers, I am talking about proper sharks.

Of course the Mako and the Thresher can reach weights of over 600 lbs. But I don't want to tangle with those.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Durban in Ireland?

Can't have travelled much Nick.

chubber

Reaction score
Most sharks are pretty tough and have a lot of stamina and if played correctly will suffer very little damage. Suprisingly the one that very often doesn't survive is the Tiger shark. No matter how quickly they're brought to the boat they're liable to stress out and turn belly up. Many of the guides on the Florida Keys will no longer fish for them because of the high mortality rate. Even marine biologists are now reluctant to catch them for research although there is still a lot not known about them.
As a matter of interest the best eating of the the sharks are the Mako and the Nurse the flavour of the latter being enhanced by it's main diet of shrimp, crab and molluscs. I've eaten both in restaurants but never killed one myself.

W

Wolfman Woody

Isn't the whaler sharks that are used for fish and cips in Oz. I've had some of that and it tastes superb.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The Bronze Whaler caught off the Cape coast on the Atlantic side is very good eating. As is the Sand Shark which is actually a type of ray.

Sand sharks are highly regarded by SA sea anglers. They fight very hard and strips cut from the small ones make excellent bait. I have caught plenty up to 35lbs.