Has anyone caught a Pumpkinseed in England

K

Keith Orange

There's an article in today's Times called "Cannibal fish may be threat to natives" about the increasing presence of the North American fish called Pumpkinseed (Lepomis Gibbosus) in southern England. Although they only grow up to about 8" they are supposed to be predatory and could be a threat to our own species.

How common are they ? Have any forum members ever caught one here ?

The Hood

Reaction score
I caught a couple of these very odd fish in an Essex lake called Childerditch, just off the a120.

T

The Monk

these are members od the sunfish family, I believe a few waters have had stockings of them over the years in the UK

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Closely related to the Large and Small Mouth Black Basses and the Bluegill.

Caught lots of bluegills in you know where.

Very easy to catch, especially with a fly rod.

P

paul williams 2

I along with Rik (carpangler) caught a few of these on our socials down in Hampshire, we caught them at Sway and whilst Sway holds some terrific roach it also has a regualar small fish problem so at first look the pumpkinseed doesn't seem to be to much a threat as far as predation is concerned.......but i don't think that their eating habits are an issue, if the balance of food availble to fish in general, whatever it's makeup, is put under greater pressure ( e.g. a new species)it can take a long time for a balance to kick in.....this can include anything including medieval carp, zander, and severn barbel!

K

Keith Orange

Thanks for all your comments.

Graham, the picture you posted is a pumpkinseed.

The story was taken up by the Guardian today. It mentions that the species is found in Sussex, with some reports from Cambridgeshire and Greater London.

T

Terry Comerford

Keith, the Pumkinseed record is held by Anglers Mail correspondent 'Barmy' Bill Rushmer.
Bill caught his huge 14oz 2dr fish from Tanyard Fishery West Sussex in July 2003.
Venue Info: 01825 791010

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I've caught a lot of them in US in a lake in Maine but over there they called them Sunfish really easy to catch on bits of lobworm (or nightcrawlers as they call them)

different names for everything over there .....

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Reads like a good day Rik, I wish I'd known about that place when I was down there last year I might have enjoyed myself there. Big roach, just my cup of tea, is it still a day ticket water Rik?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I like the term "Nightcrawlers" for lobworms Ed, because that's just what they do.

The largest of this species of worm is found, believe or not, in South Africa in the Easten Cape, especially near Port Elizabeth. I have seen them over 5 feet long and an inch thick!!

No kidding.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

You'd need a big hook even for a nice juicy tail of one of those weouldn't you ?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The world record by the way went 22 feet in length and was found on a Port Elizabeth golf course after a night of heavy rain.

T

Terry Comerford

That was my fault Ron.
I just couldn't get it out of its hole.

W

Wolfman Woody

"22 feet in length.." Sounds like one of those things out of the film, "Tremors".

B

Big Rik

is it still a day ticket water Rik?

yes, as far as I'm aware.

I'll be going there when it opens again.
Normally open from March to October.

K

Keith Orange

Big Rik, I looked at the article you mentioned. The pumpkinseed in the photo is only a few inches long, you wouldn't think they would do so much damage to fish stocks.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

There used to be a photo of the huge SA worms in the Guinness Book of Records years ago.

They look just like lobs, but much bigger.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've caught them from a couple of small Dorset waters. They tend to stick to weedy marginal areas, a bit like ruffe. I haven't noticed any adverse impact from them unlike sun bleak.
I caught them in Toronto on a Mepps size 1, fish of just 5 inches long, so they'rte aggressive little beggars!