spade end or eyed

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In a word...Yes.
I use them down to 10's but I don't see a reason why you couldn't use them in larger sizes if you wanted to. I use eyed in the larger sizes as usually I'm using a hair rig.

quickcedo

Reaction score
On smaller lighter wire hooks spade end every time, however I don't believe they give a "better" presentation for heavier, bigger hooks, just different. It would depend on what I was trying to achieve and what bait was in use.

dezza

Reaction score
I use both types but only spades up to 14.

I have recently been using eyed hooks in sizes 16, 18 and 20 for maggots and casters whilst fishing for roach on the Trent and have not noticed a blind bit of difference. I have landed barbel up to 8lbs (the hardest fighting weight) using two maggots float fished on a 16 eyed Kamasan Animal hook (barbed) and they have performed very well indeed.

What I have noticed is that I seem to have been catching a lot more fish using fluorocarbon hooklengths. This I think may make more difference than whether the hook is eyed or spade end. At the moment I am tying some 16 and 18 spade hooks to 2 lb and 4 lbs fluorocarbon for next week's float fishing on the Trent. My reasoning is that the fish in the clear water of the Trent might get spooked at the sight of even very fine nylon but would not get spooked by fluorocarbon. They might notice the fact that the hooklink is stiffer by virtue of its diameter, but by that time it's too late, isn't it?

This can prove to be an interesting thread, let's have more contributing.

dezza

Reaction score
thought the question was about eyed versus spade end hooks ..not fluorocarbon versus nylon hooklinks

It is, but I thought I would introduce what I think might make more difference to presentation than whether the hook was eyed or spade.

This only applies in fast moving rivers by the way.

For baits other than maggots, casters, hemp and tares, eyed hooks are far superior. I always use eyed hooks when using breadflake or crust. Eyed hooks stay connected to the line better than spades of course.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
It is, but I thought I would introduce what I think might make more difference to presentation than whether the hook was eyed or spade.

This only applies in fast moving rivers by the way.

For baits other than maggots, casters, hemp and tares, eyed hooks are far superior. I always use eyed hooks when using breadflake or crust. Eyed hooks stay connected to the line better than spades of course.

You missed this off, when you quoted ........ ::

"Probably enough different thoughts on that for another thread"

As for 'eyed hooks staying connected better than spades of course '

It all depends how well you tie your knots doesn't it ?
A well tied spade end hook is better than a badly tied eyed hook .........

Last edited:

captain carrott

Reaction score
i use both, in sizes smaller than 20 then it's always spades,

my eyed hooks start at a 20 simply for if i want to fish a hair rig e.g. when fishing cheese for roach.

but up to size 16 i mainly use spades.

above a size 16 then my main choice would be eyed.

as for hook length if it's daylight it's going to be fluorocarbon.

dezza

Reaction score

Just a point here, keep your fluorocarbon below the water. Many fly fishers, including myself have noticed when using fluorocarbon leaders that are partially submerged that the line can show up like a streak of light. A friend of mine who is an extremely competent fly fisher describes flurocarbon as acting like a fibre optic.

An here I am, digressing again.

But a well tied eyed hook will beat a well tied spade end every time. I fancy that the edges of the spade might cut the line - just like **** Walker did.

Sheer prejudice of course.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never had my spade end hook cut through the line. If the hook is tied correctly then it simply won't happen. I used to argue that a eyed hook was as good presentation wise as an eyed hook and argue that with too much pressure the spade would cut through the line...but that was when I couldn't tie on a spade end hook and talked through my ring !

slime monster

Reaction score
There was a time when I never used eyed hooks now if I am fishing an absolute hit and hold ..give no quarter peg for large powerful fish I use eyed patterns which give me a lot of confidence under extreme pressure .

dezza

Reaction score
I have absolutely no problems with using spades for smaller fish where a hook smaller than a 14 is required. For big fish and where you have to pull hard, then for me it's an eyed hook every time.

Effective angling has a lot to do with confidence. I do not feel confident with a spade hook for very big fish or when you have to pull hard.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
There was a time when I never used eyed hooks now if I am fishing an absolute hit and hold ..give no quarter peg for large powerful fish I use eyed patterns which give me a lot of confidence under extreme pressure .

Have you ever had a spade end hook cut your line ??
I haven't in over 50 years fishing -- I've had a knot slip but never had my line cut ...

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use spade end hooks for all my trotting and this year I've had barbel to 8lb using drennan super spades in 12's, 14's and 16's fished straight through on sensor 6lb and have put maximum pressure on the 6lb line...the hooks where fine. I've had the same results with animals and Fox match carp.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
i use both, in sizes smaller than 20 then it's always spades,

my eyed hooks start at a 20 simply for if i want to fish a hair rig e.g. when fishing cheese for roach.

but up to size 16 i mainly use spades.

above a size 16 then my main choice would be eyed.

That's broadly my rule of thumb too.If I'm on 16 or smaller I'm usually on caster/maggot and I just think a spade gives you better presentation.I carry eyed hooks in those sizes but they dont often come out.

Yep...16 or smaller and its spades for me.Bigger and its eyed.Dunno why...just feels right. Only exceptions I can think of is when I'm maggotting for big tench [16 eyed] and on the lead for big roach using bread [12/14 spade]. So its the bait/presentation that determines it really.

Still not convinced by fluoro when I'm corase fishing...dunno why because I use nothing else when I'm trouting.