what a nightmare

nicky

Reaction score
Have a 6 month old terrier which i have been taking fishing with me for the last month, i started off with on of those long chains with a screw in spike but have progressed to letting her off as she has been so well behaved i have even had comments and people asking me how i have trained her to be so obedient everything was going fine untill this afternoon when in the blink of an eye she went for the method feeder i have just come back from the vets after having to have a size 10 barbed hook removed from the back of her tongue, it was an absolute nightmare.

jcp01

Reaction score
Costly!

Similar thing happened to me with my springer. I put the rod down at the tent with a pellet still attached to the hair on the hook clipped up in the butt ring, she ate the pellet, ran off giving me a screaming run on the centre pin, I wrestled her to the ground, extracted the hook from her jaw, she ran straight off after her tennis ball as if nothing had happened, tangled in the line and pulled the hook up to the bend in my finger.

I bit the line off and pulled the hook out. Luckily, it was barbless.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I keep bull terriers and in all honesty it's just not worth the hasstle trying to take them fishing, they'll eat ewt edible or not ! Also to them everthing is just one big game so it's odds on they'd think my rod was a stick to chomp on. I uesd to have a jack russel that got excited everytime I struck and reeled in a fish....he just wanted to eat my fish. Realistically food with hooks in it and dogs is a recipee for trouble.

nicky

Reaction score
£84 quid i think i was lucky it wasnt alot more.
In a way i was lucky it was barbed as once the hook went in it stayed put and didnt get swallowed, i am more often than not using babrless.

richiekelly

Reaction score
I keep bull terriers and in all honesty it's just not worth the hasstle trying to take them fishing, they'll eat ewt edible or not ! Also to them everthing is just one big game so it's odds on they'd think my rod was a stick to chomp on. I uesd to have a jack russel that got excited everytime I struck and reeled in a fish....he just wanted to eat my fish. Realistically food with hooks in it and dogs is a recipee for trouble.

our bull terrier only lives for food and will eat anything

goldenboy55

Reaction score
glad your dog was OK!
I had actually been thinking it might be nice to take my lab retriever with me when I go fishing for a bit of company, but having read of your unfortunate experiences I have thought the better of it.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
glad your dog was OK!
I had actually been thinking it might be nice to take my lab retriever with me when I go fishing for a bit of company, but having read of your unfortunate experiences I have thought the better of it.

Why not use a landing net like everyone else?

thagamest1

Reaction score
\staffies on the bank

I have met dogs lying by the side of their owners on the bank all happy and peaceful but my Staff would have none of this. It wasnt food that was the problem but, for those who don`t know SBT`s, they are the daftest lap dogs known to mankind. I well remember trying to trot down the R. Idle with a great daft SBT INSISTING on sitting on my lap. The Idle is bad enough to trot in its fast shallow bits without a set of claws being attached to your leg!
Leave it at home with whoever you keep at home!!

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"I had actually been thinking it might be nice to take my lab retriever with me when I go fishing for a bit of company,"

Goldenboy, I could'nt think of a worse breed of dog to take with you, they have such a 'natural' affiliation to water, usually straight in at the very first sight.

tenchgirl

Reaction score
We took our lab with us the first time we went and all he did was whine and would not sit down at all, so have now decided to leave him at home.

captain carrott

Reaction score
used to take my lurcher lure fishing on the thames at portmeadow occasionally.

no chance of cathing a fish but she got some good swimming practice chasing the lures into the river.

jcp01

Reaction score
"I had actually been thinking it might be nice to take my lab retriever with me when I go fishing for a bit of company,"

Goldenboy, I could'nt think of a worse breed of dog to take with you, they have such a 'natural' affiliation to water, usually straight in at the very first sight.

Yep, all gundogs, especially labs and springers are a nightmare for any kind of fishing scenario unless you want to actually try to train them out of their natural inclination to get straight into any kind of water they find.

My springer will lay down flat in a puddle if she can't find anything better, just for the hell of it.

Bob James though, did train his labrador to not only sit and watch at the riverside, but also land fish! So it can be done...

But that may have just been an elaborate play for the camera, for all I know